It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #1
(female)

starlightraven HB User
Recurrent UTIs - doctors always think it is something else

I have been having recurrent UTIs for about three years now. Feel like I need to go to the toilet all the time, burns when I do... it's horrible.

When I go to the doctors they do the little dip test and say there are white blood cells and tiny bit of blood, so give me antibiotics (trimethoprim). These always clear it up really quickly. If I don't take antibiotics it never seems to go away on its own, or goes away for a few days and comes back. When I take antibiotics it goes away quickly and stays away for at least a few weeks.

BUT everytime I go to the doctor they seem to not 'believe' I have a UTI. Apparently some of the samples they sent off came back negative for UTIs. Today the doctor told me perhaps I just have irritation 'down there' and that is all. Another doctor tested me for STIs even though I said I definitely didn't have any (was negative). My UTIs are caused by sex, so are they suggesting the urethra gets damaged?

The thing is - the antibiotics work for me every time so surely they are UTIs? I don't understand the negative cultures (drinking too much water and diluting sample?), but why don't doctors seem to want to think I have UTIs? They always seem to think it is something else before they even know I've had negative cultures (always seem to see different doctor). I'm worried they are going to stop giving me antibiotics when I have infections and I will just have to endure the pain/discomfort instead. One time the UTI turned into a kidney infection when I left it and I never want to have to go through that again.

Anyone else been through something similar or have any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Millard HB UserMillard HB UserMillard HB UserMillard HB User
Re: Recurrent UTIs - doctors always think it is something else

Have you been to a urologist? Most PCP treat the symptoms of a uti, usually with good results. You may need to see a urologist to help find the source of the infections. As you discovered, not treating can result in painful and very serious medical problems; even death if it goes untreated.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Last edited by Millard; 01-31-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
antibiotic, urethra, uti