It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
(female)

Pam3319 HB User
Unhappy losing sensation to urinate

Hi,
I am 41 years old with a long history of bladder issues. After many goofball Dr.s I have never received a proper diagnosis. I do a lot of google searches trying to be my own Dr.!, which is sad (haha) Ok anyhow, after many years of burning and frequent urination, now I am experiencing loss of the urge to pee! I just have a cramping sensation, (like when you hold your pee too long?) That is my new 'signal' . Sometimes it just dribbles out, sometimes the flow is very very slow, and sometimes it's normal! I have had an ultrasound of the bladder and kidneys, and a few urine tests. Nothing conclusive, except that my lower back injury 'may' have affected the nerves. I didn't see a Urologist, (which I get it, I need to) but anyone have an idea why I'm losing the sensation to go pee?! Is this really bad ...

Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: losing sensation to urinate

You may have what is called a neurogenic bladder, meaning some problem with the nerves to the bladder exists. This can be a result of low back problems, although that is normally accompanied by severe back/leg pain from a herniated disc. The other cause can be peripheral neuropathy, which can be caused by Vit B12, folate deficiency, low thyroid, diabetes and autoimmune diseases. The first 4 items are easy to check with blood tests. The other thing that is helpful is cystometric testing to see what the pressures are inside the bladder, at what point you get the urge to urinate, how much urine is still in bladder after emptying it, how well your bladder muscles contract to empty it, etc. It can be a bad situation if you have a large, overdistended bladder, high residual urine, or lack the urge so much you forget to go for long periods. I would definitely see a urologist, as the problem may be very treatable, like a Vit B12 or folate deficiency.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
gsmom (02-06-2013), Pam3319 (02-06-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #3
(female)

Pam3319 HB User
Re: losing sensation ** urinate

Thanks. Yes I should have mentioned I do have a herniated disc, that causes me leg pain. I went ** a low budget clinic where there was questionable care, so I really don't know how bad off I am, :/ . I will take note of your suggestions, and find someone ** address them! <3

Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Millard HB UserMillard HB UserMillard HB UserMillard HB User

Hello Pam,

You might want to ask your urologist about a urodynamic test. This is the only way your urologist can tell if your bladder is neurogenic or not and will also test the bladders pressure. Too high of a bladder pressure can cause reflux of urine up the ureters and into the kidneys and possibly setting you up for more problems in the future.

Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Millard For This Useful Post:
Pam3319 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
(female)

Pam3319 HB User

Thanks Millard, yeah I need to do something soon I think. As of right now there is literally no sensation :O earlier, mild cramping when I had to go. When I did have the urine test, there was protein in my urine once, but I don't think it was there the 2nd time. Like I said, this was a teaching type clinic, the Dr's were very inexperienced :O Hopefully my kidney's are ok I will come back and follow up when I find out. Thanks to you both <3

Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

The teaching type clinic may be good. I have been to 5 older established urologists, 40 to 70 years old & they seems be clueless.
They just wanted to treat the symptoms & were not interested in doing any blood tests or ultra-sound tests of the bladder, kidney, or prostate.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
(female)

Pam3319 HB User

I've just had terrible luck with Dr.s, and I hear you sometimes the older Dr's are just as bad or worse than the inexperienced ones, lol. Kinda rigid with their thinking, huh.
I haven't addressed this issue yet :O and it has been kinda rough..Thanks for your reply

Last edited by Pam3319; 02-26-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: I need to delete this one, as I posted the same thing twice!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
(female)

Pam3319 HB User

I've just had terrible luck with Dr.s, and I hear you sometimes the older Dr's are just as bad or worse than the inexperienced ones, lol. Kinda rigid with their thinking, huh.
I haven't addressed this issue yet :O and it has been kinda rough..Thanks for your reply

Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Before you give up try the Kegel Eggs. They are a set of different size Jade Eggs with a string in the small end. They sell for $30 to $50 for the set. They help strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.
Start your Kegel exercises with the larger egg. These muscles get weak & let the bladder lose control.

Last edited by JinL; 03-14-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
urology