It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #31
(male)

bhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB User
Re: Bummed out After TURP...

it would seem your detrusor muscles are still functioning well, bladder
able to contract normally and are not damaged.
In your case, do you still have retention or is it gone ??
rapaflo, after reading up on it, is similar to flomax, which I have experience with.

alpha 1 blocker relaxing the bladder neck and prostate areas.
Not sure you will be certain whether the long term, what the results will
be without the drug.
But if the drug is working well, then , even if you have symptoms after going off
it, it can probably be corrected with more surgery... which may
be like a touch up in your case and not as severe as the first surgery.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
(male)

boilerroom HB User

Last appt. I had 400ml retention, not sure now, but the way I am going with the meds, I can not imagine I have retention, I really do not know though at this point as I do not own a ultrasound scanner.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #33
(male)

albedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB User
Re: Bummed out After TURP.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
albed01: Did you just wait out the 3-4 months or did you get checked out prior to that and just have the faith you were going to get better? Was your problem the fact you were finding it hard to go to the bathroom, hard to get a stream going or was there some other issue?
Before answering, I also feel with bhp02 you might have got a complication, but at the same time, feel the medical knowledge and processes are such it can be easy to fix. If it makes you feel better just get a second opinion before deciding.

To your question: my first control was after 1 month and doc wanted to see me again after 3 months (i.e. for end of April). Objectively (no faith) what I am observing now (end of second month) is stream is good (feeling slightly better than when was taking tamsulosin), no night wakes up and no particular urgency or hesitancy. However, so far I am only 50% satisfied because the residual (PVR) as calculated at ultrasound scan was still 270mL at 1st month control and that probably will NOT fully correct. As PVR was the reason of my TURP, so far I solved the problem only at 50%. Hopefully it is going to improve at the 3 month control. What I am trying is to void well. It means I really, really take time (can be 5-10 mins !! but obviously cannot do this all the times). I stimulate myself and make a little pelvic muscle pressure. I noticed that, after having finished and I would have gone, I push myself to stay longer and still can take out 200 and even 300mL (the latter maybe what taking the distigmine bromide). Hence I feel I am helping my body to void that extra PVR and retraining my bladder. I do this particularly at night before going to bed. I will check this with my doc by end of April. I also know you can get prescribed a bladder physiotherapy and I am going to ask that. PVR is still partially my problem, not hesitancy and stream. I hope this helps.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #34
(male)

Good, boileroom! Thank you. This looks very good, you seem reacting well and I did not know about rapaflo (read about comparison with flowmax). Let us know how this medication would help your retention. Check with doctor. Maybe you can use it for a while before thinking to a new process as bni. A course of medication is normal before surgery I think but I am not a doctor.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #35
(male)

boilerroom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by albedo1 View Post
Good, boileroom! Thank you. This looks very good, you seem reacting well and I did not know about rapaflo (read about comparison with flowmax). Let us know how this medication would help your retention. Check with doctor. Maybe you can use it for a while before thinking to a new process as bni. A course of medication is normal before surgery I think but I am not a doctor.
I was on rapaflo quite a few months preop, I was on flomax before that. Both these meds are absolute poison to me, but rapaflo is the least poison.

I read that clonazepam, I use it to go to sleep, can cause retention, I took it for years, and I wonder if this is the whole problem with my trouble peeing? I went off it for 4 days, and started rapaflo again the day I stopped clonazepam, and went to bathroom like magic. I had to take clonaz again to get some sleep last night and the next day, My water was good, but not as good as prior days. I bet that clonazepam, being a depressant is part of the problem, I just bet. I wonder if any folks in here took that med or anouther benzodiazepine? Curious stuff to ponder? Thanks.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: boilerroom
albedo1 (04-02-2013), Mojo88 (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #36
(male)

Mojo88 HB UserMojo88 HB User

First, sorry for long post......

I had TURP 10 days ago. The urologist seems very capable. I spent one painful night in hospital, then doc removed catheter to see if I could pee. Waited a few hours, but no joy, locked up tight, could not pass a drop. My bladder was FULL and painful, and the male RN on duty was tasked with inserting new catheter. But get this, he couldn't find bladder! Instant panic mode as he pushed catheter in all the way (about 10 inches), but no urine coming out. Finally, I tell the guy that since the prostate has just been opened up, there is nothing to guide the catheter into bladder opening and he will have to poke around with the catheter. Well, he makes a few pokes and BINGO, he gets it draining. Whew..... I went home for four days with a bag on my leg. Back to his office on Day 5, catheter removed, then after a couple of hours took a good pee (with scabs and blood). Whew, what a relief. Some blood and scabs continued, but then clear for a few days.
-
Then at day 9, I was feeling almost perfect, so I went hiking and lifted some things that were a tad heavy. Now I am paying price (discomfort and blood in urine). I am sitting in easy chair right now, mad at myself for this little setback, because I have been following doctor's orders precisely, up to this point. Moral of the story, follow doc's advice and take it easy! Now day 10, still a little blood.
-
Flow is much improved, but still intermittent pain, blood and urgency. I have no regrets. I had PVR, so this had to be done. I remain optimistic, and will keep posting here.
-
My PVR (post void residual) numbers had been steadily increasing for about 6 years. Remained slightly over 100cc for about four years, then went to 200cc, then 250cc. Then started Flomax (once daily) and it went down a little. But then about a year ago, PVR went to about 400cc. Then started taking two Flomax per day (one in AM, one in PM). PVR dropped to about 200cc. But I could tell there was a 'plumbing' problem, too much dribbling and obstruction.
-
I knew it was only a matter of time before I absolutely had to get TURP or Laser. And I also wanted to try and preserve bladder and kidney function, as I was getting nervous that I might have caused some stretching of bladder. Urologist agreed and we did TURP.
-
Oh, I wanted to add that my Doc still has me taking Flomax twice a day. My next appointment is in two weeks. I will post PVR numbers and any other relevant facts.
-
Prayers to everyone here. These 'man' problems are very disconcerting and nerve-wracking.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
(male)

I had TURP 10 days ago. The urologist seems very capable. I spent one painful night in hospital, then doc removed catheter to see if I could pee. No joy, locked up tight, could not pass a drop. He had to insert new catheter and I went home for four days with a bag on my leg. Back to his office on Day 5, catheter removed, then after a couple of hours took a good pee (with scabs and blood). Whew, what a relief. Some blood and scabs continued, but then clear for a few days.
Then at day 9, I started seeing scabs and blood again. Now day 10, still a little blood.
Flow is much improved, but still intermittent pain, blood and urgency.
I have no regrets. I had PVR, so this had to be done. I remain optimistic, and will keep posting here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mojo88 For This Useful Post:
boilerroom (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #38
(male)

My PVR (post void residual) numbers had been steadily increasing for about 6 years. Remained slightly over 100cc for about four years, then went to 200cc, then 250cc. Then started Flomax (once daily) and it went down a little. But then about a year ago, PVR went to about 400cc. Then started taking two Flomax per day (one in AM, one in PM). PVR dropped to about 200cc. But I could tell there was a 'plumbing' problem, too much dribbling and obstruction.
-
I knew it was only a matter of time before I absolutely had to get TURP or Laser. And I also wanted to try and preserve bladder and kidney function, as I was getting nervous that I might have caused some stretching of bladder. Urologist agreed and we did TURP.
-
I am sitting in easy chair right now. I was feeling almost perfect a few days ago, so I went hiking and lifted some things that were a tad heavy. Now I am paying price (discomfort and blood in urine). I'm mad at myself for this little setback, because I have been following doctor's orders precisely, up to this point. If you get TURP, follow doc's advice and take it easy!
-
Prayers to everyone, especially 'boilerroom'
-
PS, my doc has me still on two Flomax/day.......

Last edited by Mojo88; 04-01-2013 at 02:46 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mojo88 For This Useful Post:
albedo1 (04-02-2013), boilerroom (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #39
(male)

mine is 5 weeks now (BNI), I still don't feel normal when sitting for long periods of
time or when the colon is full of gas or stool.
Otherwise everything is good, still some discomfort during voiding.

I think it takes 3 months for the scar tissues to heal and even longer
for the nerves and muscles to recover normal functions.
Take it easy for the first 3-4 weeks.

Good luck to all.

The Following User Says Thank You to bhp02 For This Useful Post:
boilerroom (04-01-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #40
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo88 View Post
-
-
I am sitting in easy chair right now. I was feeling almost perfect a few days ago, so I went hiking and lifted some things that were a tad heavy. Now I am paying price (discomfort and blood in urine). I'm mad at myself for this little setback, because I have been following doctor's orders precisely, up to this point. If you get TURP, follow doc's advice and take it easy!
-
Prayers to everyone, especially 'boilerroom'
-
PS, my doc has me still on two Flomax/day.......
Very similar experience as mine wrt PVR and Flowmax (mine was and is still bigger, hopefully i will improve) and post-TURP. I am trying to learn to better void. Also check if you could have a special physio for "retraining" bladder. I will check. I removed Flomax.

Last edited by albedo1; 04-02-2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #41
(male)

boilerroom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerroom View Post
The plan was for me to take Rapaflo starting today March 25 2013 for a week. AWESOME! It is like night and day. I know the reason for the turp itself was to get off of the meds, but I have never ever went to the bathroom like this in my entire life. I am talking serious FLOW, and serious PRESSURE, almost abnormal. Now, if I could only achieve this without the Rapaflo, I would consider this procedure a very large success indeed. I did not think it was even possible to pee like this. I guess that might mean my bladder is doing its job? I did take Rapaflo before procedure, but not with these results!

Now what I really would like to know is...In time does anyone think i will be able to go to the toilet like this without the meds? I am ecstatic right now, as you can likely tell. I just hope this is a good sign...THANKS......
One week after stopping Rapaflo, still managing to pee, but not with the ease of when I was taking the Rapaflo daily. Takes a little bit to get stream going, but seems to be about 3/4 the force than with Rapaflo. Not bad really, no pain or discomfort at this point. Wondering now if a fella should just wait out the 4 month period and make a decision from that point of whether or not to persue further procedures like a BNI or whatever? Cheers!

Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #42
(male)

boiler, its good news if you have improved after being off 1 week , as it takes 1 week for the effect to wear off.

I would wait before getting a cysto to check the bneck

Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #43
(male)

boilerroom HB User

Follow up flow test 355ml out, 332ml retention. Second followup post op. Turped Feb. 6 2013. Rapaflo kills me to take it, but I agreed to take it every two to three days for a couple of months. I go to bathroom like a firehose when taking it. Surgeon said it is his gut feeling that I will improve after a short regimen of this, and then not need the meds. Another chapter done. Cheers Y'all.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #44
(male)

I would pee every hour, keep the bladder volume low,,except during sleep. good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to bhp02 For This Useful Post:
boilerroom (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #45
(male)

boilerroom HB User

bhp, have you read many threads in here that roughly follow the same script that mirror my documented story here?

Reply Reply