It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
(female)

kareval HB User
urethroplasty

Hello,
I have a urethral stricture. One doctor told me that if I learn to self catherize, that i could do that for the rest of my life...the other doctor suggested I go for the surgery. Has anyone here had this and how did it go for you? Thanking anyone in advance who has information on this.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
(male)

bhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB Userbhp02 HB User
Re: urethroplasty

i have no experience with this, but where is the stricture exactly ??
Knowing where and how big it is may help you decide .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
(female)

kareval HB User

Thanks for responding...My stricture is distal and up near the neck of the bladder..I don't know the size, but it has been described as severe...I have just started to self catheterize to keep my urethra open, as it closes up over time, then I'm in trouble with kidney failure. I've been dealing with this stricture for 15 years. I used to go into urinary retention, but lately, for the past few years, I've had 3 incidences with kidney failure. I've had two different opinions from doctors, and I suppose I need a third to make my decision.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
(male)

if I were you, I would go for a laser bladder neck incision or bladder neck plasty or
whatever the technical term is for smoothing/ opening up the bladder neck.
I would assume it would help to decrease the pressure that is built up in the bladder
and into the kidney.

Also, what is your history with this condition ??
what caused it and what surgery had you done before ??
what is the danger of perforation of the urethra ??
is the tissue thick enough to do surgery on it without high risk of perforation or other complications ??

Warning, I am not a urologist

Last edited by bhp02; 03-25-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
(female)

kareval HB User

Is what you suggested just cutting away at the stricture? I have read where when that is done, the scar tissue grows and could be just as bad as the stricture was...
My history is long with this stricture...many categorizations and dilation's as a young woman caused this...A urologist felt that I had a small urethra., and dilated me several times. In those days I had uti's which is quite common in young women. After both my children were born I needed to be cath'd...and have suffered with the stricture for many years...dilation to me is barbaric, and i regret ever letting that doctor do that to me. I started out with urinary retention several times, cystos found the stricture. Only since I had kidney failure was it suggested that i have a urethroplasty, or self cath.. I don't know which is worse, but certainly self cath is less costly...When and if i can't do it anymore due to old age, I probaly won't qualify for the surgery due to obamacare. I am up in the air as what to do.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
(male)

sorry to hear that your situation is a difficult one.
is there anyway a graft can be done , cut away and replace the stricture segment with tissue from a donor site ?

it sounds like the structure (urethra) is too thin and is full of possible complications just to remove some scar tissue.

sorry, I am not a urologist,,,, my comments can be wrong.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
(male)

bruno22rf HB User

Hi-I had a uretheraplasty on the 16th of jan this year.The operation is nothing to be scared of-the biggest downer is having a catheter in for 3 weeks.The operation is done thru the crotch and the stiches dissolve after a few weeks.It your choice but if i were faced with self catherisation or uretheraplasty i would go for the operation every time.I can honestly say that I have experienced more pain from a toothache than from the uretheraplasty.

The Following User Says Thank You to bruno22rf For This Useful Post:
kareval (04-03-2013)
Reply Reply