It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
(male)

tomyry HB User
Prostate flare up - any advise?

I have been doing ok treating my BHP with meds and herbs and exercise, except today. I had the perfect storm hit - no sleep, fatigue, physical exhaustion, then my prostate apparently decided to swell up and my old nightmare reoccurred- urgency, dribbling, little or no urine. I finally broke down and self cathereterd. I took an extra dose of meds and everything appears back to normal, but I was wondering if there is a quick fix should my prostate decide to "seize up" again. This hasn't happened in 9 months and I thought it wasn't going to happen so I want to be proactive should it happen again. Any advise or ideas are most appreciated!!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
(male)

antidenti101 HB User
Re: Prostate flare up- any advise?

I would call your Urologist or a GP to talk about your meds.
Being you have the ability to self cath yourself,you most likely have seen a Urologist.

Keep the catheters on hand wherever you go.There is nothing more uncomfortable than not being able to void, and not having any catheters with you. I can say this with personal experience and recent successful TURP surgery.
I wish you well !!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
(male)

tomyry HB User
Re: Prostate flare up- any advise?

Hi Antidenti101, thanks for your reply, Seeing my uro on Tuesday. Definitely will not go on a trip without a cathater. Hopefully willnot need one but just knowing I have it is worth the peace of mind. I am glad that your TURP worked out well!!

Last edited by tomyry; 05-15-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
Re: Prostate flare up - any advise?

If you take the right suppliments and do the right type of exercising a sleepless night will not cause you prostate to swell up.OK here are the rules......Limit your ejaculations, too much and you are screwed(figuratively speaking). Do as much cardio exercise as you can stand, daily.Here is a list of suppliments that keep the prostate healthy.....Pygeum, nettle, beta sitosterol. saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil, bee pollen, zinc, lycopene, saw palmetto. You can find prostate formula suppliments that contain many of these ingredients at any health food store, take daily. Eat lots of tomatoes and tomato sauce daily it is rich in lycopene. In some mediterranean countries where tomatoes are frequently eaten there is a lower incidence of BPH The prostate is a small gland that needs lots of TLC When it comes to prevention most urologists are ignorant and their meds are useless. If BPH is severe they will not hesitate to put you through TURP, They like to jam instruments of torture through you penis and scrape away, not fun..Take care of your prostate and it will give you a lifetime of fun and you can throw away your catheters and maybe use them for a nice bar cocktail......

Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
(male)

albedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB Useralbedo1 HB User

tommyryy, let us know how the uro visit will go.

I went, successfully so far, through a (bipolar) TURP for my severe PVR (post void residual). My BPH evolved with age slowly. My PSA under control. My non expert advise is to continuously monitor with your urologist, low inflammatory diet, good supplement and exercise as advised. A good read is Dr Katz's "Prostate Health".

Good luck !!

Old 05-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
(male)

tomyry HB User

Hi LenVegas, I totally agree with everything you listed. I take the supplements you stated in individual pills - not a combination since want the maximum results. I want to get totally away form all prescription meds at some point. I cannot imagine consenting to a TURP or any similar surgery based on the horror stories I have read here and on other boards. Your advice is very much appreciated.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #7
(male)

tomyry HB User

Thanks for your kind words, Albedo. I will post after I see the uro. Best wishes for your continuing recovery. Hugs

Reply Reply