It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
(female)

melissa1993 HB User
Recurring Urine Infections - don't know what to do anymore

This is going to be a long ranty post, so apologies in advance. I just really hope someone can relate with me, or give me some reassurance or help.

It's been almost two years since I became regularly sexually active with my boyfriend (had sexual encounters before, but not regular), and since then UTIs have literally plagued me every month (sometimes more frequent, sometimes less, the longest I've been without is 2 months). I can't 'flush them out' as every doctor and nurse keeps saying, the times I've tried they have advanced to a kidney infection. I need antibiotics all the time which I fear I'm becoming resistant against - I'm already resistant to Trimethropim, and recently Nitrofurantoin has failed me.

I've tried pretty much everything; I pee after sex, I keep good hygiene, wiping back to front (who doesn't?), cranberry pills, vitamins, mostly drink water, barely drink alcohol now etc. I had an ultrasound on my organs, apparently everything on the inside was fine.

I'm getting to this point where I just can't live with it anymore, which sounds overdramatic but how can I? I'm currently in University, next year when I graduate how am I meant to keep a job? I get agonising pain, where I physically can't get off the toilet to even eat or drink... taking sick days isn't an option. The only way I can stop this all is to completely abstain from sex, which will destroy my relationship or any hope of a future one, which I don't want to do - am I meant to choose between a job or a relationship? It already takes it toll, it's hard to be intimate half the time with a uti at the front of your mind.

I just don't know what to do anymore, the only way to relieve the pain completely is with proper codeine (I had a stock left after an operation) but the doctors won't prescribe me it as it's 'too extreme' - I've tried every over-counter drug (the ones with partial codeine in them), all of which only knock 25% of the pain off. No one knows the pain I go through, everyone thinks a uti is easy to deal with, doctors dismiss me as some hypochondriac unhygenic freak and fob me off with the 'try flush it out' method.

I am currently on Cipro for a uti, which I think isn't clearing up (nitrofurantoin failed for it) - usually I feel better on day 4. I don't know what to do anymore, what line of action I can take or whether I have to make the choice between becoming an invalid once a month to sustain an adult relationship or become abstinent and give up on relationships to actually have a career.

Sorry for the ramble but if anyone could offer any input I would be grateful As someone who is 20, it's just upsetting watching everyone have easy and pain free lives, able to drink what they want and do what they want in their relationships...

Last edited by melissa1993; 07-25-2013 at 05:39 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to melissa1993:
Sick2day (08-01-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
(female)

melissa1993 HB User
Re: Recurring Urine Infections - don't know what to do anymore

Just to add, I don't think I have IC because the times that I do give a urine culture they are just full of red blood cells and protein - usually my pee is just a murky brown or very cloudy dark yellow, so just obviously infected. I've heard that's not what IC is?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User

Hi, I think you should have more tests to determine what is causing them to be recurring so often. Do they culture your urine to determine which bacteria is causing the infections? Is it always the same bacteria? Have they considered UTI prophylaxis (either daily or post-coital?). Have they done bloodwork to test for other conditions (immune, etc.), do you get fevers? Are you on the birth control pill? Do you use condoms? Do you have any allergies? (could you be allergic to latex??) It does not sound exactly like IC to me - but perhaps you have scar tissue or something from IC that is easy for bacteria to attach to and multiply. I found that cranberry pills made my UTIs worse, so you could try one week taking them and the next don't. I am sorry to hear that the macrobid/cipro are not working. Sometimes doctors just throw a random antibiotic at it without figuring out might be effective. I hope you feel better soon and get a break. I think it would be pretty extreme to have to choose a relationship vs. career, and I hope that your doctors take you seriously soon. They see so many UTI's that really aren't serious that I think they get a bit jaded for the more complex cases.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User

Also - don't go too wild trying to flush them out - it may make it easier for reflux to occur (causing those kidney infections) and it also waters down your body's natural infection fighters (white blood cells, etc) which could make the infection worse.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
(female)

janetter HB User

I am going through the exact same thing. I am 45 and am currently in a new relationship. Every time I have intimacy I get infections. I had the problem in my younger years but now it is worse. Been sick on and off for the past three months. Very frustrating. I dont know what to do anymore.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
(female)

melissa1993 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip452 View Post
Hi, I think you should have more tests to determine what is causing them to be recurring so often. Do they culture your urine to determine which bacteria is causing the infections? Is it always the same bacteria? Have they considered UTI prophylaxis (either daily or post-coital?). Have they done bloodwork to test for other conditions (immune, etc.), do you get fevers? Are you on the birth control pill? Do you use condoms? Do you have any allergies? (could you be allergic to latex??) It does not sound exactly like IC to me - but perhaps you have scar tissue or something from IC that is easy for bacteria to attach to and multiply. I found that cranberry pills made my UTIs worse, so you could try one week taking them and the next don't. I am sorry to hear that the macrobid/cipro are not working. Sometimes doctors just throw a random antibiotic at it without figuring out might be effective. I hope you feel better soon and get a break. I think it would be pretty extreme to have to choose a relationship vs. career, and I hope that your doctors take you seriously soon. They see so many UTI's that really aren't serious that I think they get a bit jaded for the more complex cases.
Thanks for the reply, and apologies for the late response!
They usually find bacteria in my urine, there have been times where they haven't though (but I put it down to more bladder irritation), it always seems to be the E.coli virus from what they've told me.
UTI prophylaxis - I presume that means taking the antibiotics before sex? I did try this, and it was working rather well for me (didn't get a UTI in 2 and half months which was a record), however, my doctor decided to just take me off them because I shouldn't be taking antibiotics... I didn't quite get the logic of that.
I am on the pill, I don't use condoms because I'm in a long term relationship and tbh condoms just seem to make it worse, I think I have an irritation to latex.

Luckily cipro did work to clear up my UTI this time round, so thank god I feel alright at the moment!
I'm just wondering whether I should just go on antibiotics for the rest of my days before sex, just annoying because that then causes thrush and lowers my immune system.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
(female)

melissa1993 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetter View Post
I am going through the exact same thing. I am 45 and am currently in a new relationship. Every time I have intimacy I get infections. I had the problem in my younger years but now it is worse. Been sick on and off for the past three months. Very frustrating. I dont know what to do anymore.
It is completely depressing, intimacy is meant to be enjoyable... but it feels like a gamble to me now, I try and avoid it now because I'm terrified which is probably very frustrating for my boyfriend... I feel so awful because none of his exes had this stupid problem I have and it must be so annoying for him. Just makes me feel less desirable to be honest...
It's the psychological toll it takes and well as the physical one, just feel so helpless in the face of these infections.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
(female)

Jewlee01 HB User

I know how you feel I am in the same boat, but a bit shorter time period. Mine started in May and is still sticking around. I have had a few white tops clear. But then it comes back. This time with fever and so on. I went onto amoxicillin and now back onto Trimethoprm. It's been tough since I only just moved to the UK when I got 'sick' with this.

I don't want to go out anywhere, because of frequency. My quality of life has diminished substantially. I am even avoiding people now. I have not had sex with my BF since it first happened I am too scared.

I am even more scared of tests. I just don't have the emotional reserves for it. If that makes sense? I have suffered a lot of losses over a period of a few years and I'm depleted.

Holistic Health

I read somewhere that anxiety is stored in the bladder. (Yes I am desperate now so sourcing all sorts of information). So am considering high stress has caused it? Also being run down can cause it.

I do know the frequency is up and down. Sometimes it goes a bit better at the moment it is every 25 minutes that I have to pee. I hope its not serious. I have read loads of posts about recurring UTI'S that are not serious. But why they remain is a mystery.

I avoid perfume soaps, wash undies in none scented soap. I wash after bowl motions, I do not wear tampons anymore, I don't hold my pee in, I don't have sex. I feel pretty much obsessed with the whole issue.

Some say a males uncircumsized penis can cause it. He has to wash well before sex too.

Mine started with using a vibrator that was of a different shape than the usual. I am not sure if this caused it. Since it was probably 48 hours after this that it occurred.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
(female)

m106 HB User

Hey

might not be much help but I'm on the same boat as you.

been in a committed relationship since the beginning of this year and before that I've never had a UTI... even though I've had sex in various situations/people before... it all started after one summer trip where I had unprotected sex for 2 weeks... and got my first UTI and since then I've had about 6 infections in 2 months!? so 6 antibiotics...woohoo...
all came back positive for leukocytes and I guess it's definitely caused by sex...maybe also my weak immune system... I've tried D mannose, vitamins , herbal tea etc as well but it doesn't seem to work that well. am taking my sixth antibiotics now at the moment cause I had sex with my bf over the last weekend... sigh**

I can totally understand your pain, I'm also in my 20s and it really drains you out psychologically/physically...
now my doctor put me on preventative low dosage antibiotics for after sex .. I don't really want to take them! and like you, I guess I fear to have sex now... :/
on top of that I have other ****** health problems so I really feel down sometimes because of them...and I feel bad for my boy too.
IT REALLY SUCKS!

have you tried going to a gyno? I'm going to see my gyno doctor in 2 weeks ...hope she can offer me a better solution...

hope things get better fo people like us!!

Old 10-23-2013, 03:20 AM   #10
(female)

truthseeker14 HB User

I was unable to read your entire post but I read enough to get the gist of it. Are you willing to undergo a complete lifestyle change including diet to get well? If so, I can help you & will direct you to a discussion forum in which you can speak directly to a doctor (he is not an MD).

Old 10-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
(female)

flybird229 HB User

This is going to sound terrible but I am so glad I'm not alone.

I too suffer from chronic recurrent urinary tract infections. How long you ask? I got my first one when I was only 5 yeas old, and it was normal to get one every so often (1-2 a year) after that. But as I got older, they became more frequent. Now I am 22 years old and I get one nearly every month. And they suck. They hurt so badly and they literally come out of nowhere.

I became sexually active at 19 and mine just got more and more frequent. I've been on so many medications from my doctors for this problem that I can't even name them all anymore. They even put me on one that I was supposed to take every time after sex but it didnt help anything.

My fiance and I do all we can to make sure we are both clean before and after sex but it doesnt help at all. I urinate before/after sex, take vitamin C pills, wipe front to back, use cleaning wipes, orange juice, cranberry juice (which a doctor told me has never been proven to do ANYTHING for UTI's), antibiotics, pain relievers, garlic, baking soda water, baking soda and apple vinegar.....nothing helps. They just keep coming back.

After going to see my doctor once, she worried that there might be larger underlying problems with my bladder and sent me to a urologist for testing. After waiting 1.5 hours in the waiting room, the butt face doctor came in and told me he wouldnt do the test because i must be overreacting. I nearly broke down crying then. that was 9 months ago.

I just went to a doctor on Monday (10/21/2013) and she thinks i might actually have urine reflux back into my kidneys because my bladder may not be emptying fully all the time, creating the constant UTI's. hopefully I can get into another doctor to actually get the bladder scan i need because i cannot take this any longer.

literally i feel like i cannot continue on with this constant issue. its painful, embarrassing, and i too cannot be forced to lay around because of my issue because i need to work and be active in my own and my fiance's life. thank God he is so understanding of my issue.

I just hope that things get better for you. Seriously makes me feel better to not be alone. I'm balling my eyes out because I have a UTI right now and it is horrible.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
(female)

Jewlee01 HB User

I thought I would pop in to see how this thread was going and it has been a while. I know when I was in the middle of it all and my UTI was not clearing up it was SO stressful and really the words here gave me hope and made me realize that I was not alone and also showed me how common recurring UTI's are.

My UTI finally cleared. I guess everyone issues could be very similar but also caused by different things. Some medications work for some, some don't. I always made sure I had my urine culture tested which I would recommend. This gives the Doctor more of an idea of what is going on. Then having patience and dealing with the pain and stress of it in different ways.

I did work a lot on my immune system, I tried to stay positive that it would clear, I had VERY gentle sex, (still nervous), I stopped thinking about how many times I pee'd and counting the time in between, I'd talk about things that were making me anxious aside from the UTI, I took pro-biotics, I also got cranberry probiotics for healthy urinary system, I did a little yoga (googe UTI yoga), I wore loose trousers a lot, but also I go BAD thrush from all the antibiotics.

I guess I just want to say, DON'T give up hope and you are not alone

Reply Reply