It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
(male)

gb1958 HB User
Prostate Size - BPH - CT Scan

Hello,

Had a CT scan for my lower organs and the report mentions my prostate size. I asked my Urologist about it and he said to ignore it as the only way to get an accurate prostate size is with an ultrasound DRE.

I can't believe this. The CT scan cost a fortune and can measure the size of a kidney stone and a lot of other things but not the prostate? Is the doctor just trying to get me to pay (out of my pocket) for another test, a miserable one at that and one that he does in his office?

Thanks

Last edited by gb1958; 08-28-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
(female)

Robocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB User
Re: Prostate Size - BPH - CT Scan

A transrectal ultrasound is the most accurate way to measure the prostate. Unfortunately, a CT scan will not.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User

Hi, if you do not have any of the classic BPH symptoms then it would be no cause for concern.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
(male)

lexer HB User

Prostate ultra sound isnt painful, in fact i hear it is less discomfort than a standard DRE ..is this true?
Also, the size of a prostate means absolutely nothing if it isnt constricting the urethra ? If it isnt squeezing the urethra, it cannot cause any issues such as frequent urination and a weak urine stream?

Last edited by lexer; 08-30-2013 at 07:43 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to lexer For This Useful Post:
lenvegas (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
(male)

gb1958 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer View Post
Prostate ultra sound isnt painful, in fact i hear it is less discomfort than a standard DRE ..is this true?
It's not a good time. First you need to give yourself an enema. Then the doctor shoves this egg on a stick up your rear end thru the inner sphincter which takes some effort to get through there. It then feels like you have to have diarrhea immediately but he keeps it there until he's done. Funny, the doctor acted like having a prostate biopsy was no big thing. He needs to have one himself and see if he thinks it's no big deal after he has one. I won't give that description unless someone considering having one wants to know. That too is a real bad time.

So if the CT scan you already had gives the prostate size, why then do you need to have an ultra sound and enjoy that wonderful time?

If the CT scan isn't accurate, they shouldn't make mention of it in a report.

Last edited by gb1958; 08-31-2013 at 03:54 AM.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
(female)

Robocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB UserRobocat HB User

Ct scans are much better at identifying skeletal structures than soft tissue structures, it can help tell you whether it has spread better than an accurate size. The rectal ultrasounds have greater accuracy because it measures from within. Not that they can accurately measure it anyways, they just make good guesstimates. Just like when the ultrasound me when I was pregnant. Told me my daughter was 20" long and 10lbs. She was born 21" and 8lbs 13oz. Granted the ultrasound tech we had was new, but the when I went with a friend to hers she got a guy whose been doing it 10 years...he got it within millimeters.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
(male)

lexer HB User

This is what i dont understand. If a cycoscopy determines that the urethra is NOT constricted, why even bother finding out how large the prostate is? If there is no signs of cancer and the prostate is a mile wide but not constricting the urethra, why would the size matter at that point?

Last edited by lexer; 08-31-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
(male)

gb1958 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer View Post
This is what i dont understand. If a cycoscopy determines that the urethra is NOT constricted, why even bother finding out how large the prostate is? If there is no signs of cancer and the prostate is a mile wide but not constricting the urethra, why would the size matter at that point?
My original question is if the CT scan can show the size of the prostate. The radiologist felt it important to mention the size in the CT scan. For the answer to my question, it makes no difference why I'm asking it.

If you ever have to pay out of your pocket for these tests and/or go through the misery of having them, you'll start to question your doctor why they want them and if they're absolutely necessary. So if you're lucky enough to pry your test results from your doctor and look at what is says, you may have questions why he's doing what he's doing and why you may need to spend thousands of dollars for something you already had done. Doctors are no longer Marcus Welby's. They're business people first and formost and are most concerned in bringing dollars into the practice or group.

I've many times questioned having tests only to find out didn't need it, they just wanted to do the series. They just assume ins pays for and don't really care of the misery they'll put you through. If you go to doctors enough for you or your family, you'll see these guys aren't pure white and you suffer while they drive BMW's and live in fancy homes.

Reply Reply