It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User
Time span for hep shots

What are the time spans for the hep shots. Do they only keep you from getting one type of hepatits? Which one is considered the most dangerous? I have had two shots already but am pregnant and don't know if I can take my third one since it's been a year. Had the second one last spring then got pregnant in the summer. Thnx

Old 04-18-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User
Re: Time span for hep shots

dear lynne,

the second dose is usually given 1-2 months after the first and the third dose if given 4-6 months after the first dose. i'm not sure if you will have to repeat the first 2 doses. you should call your doctor and ask.

it is SAFE to get HEP B vaccine during pregnancy. it's recommended that pregnant women who are high risk for contracting hep b get vaccinated.

the HEP A vaccine is NOT recommended during pregnancy because its safety has not been established. in any case, hep a does not cause chronic liver damage (unlike hep b and hep c) and once you get it and recover from it, you are immune to it.

there are five different types of Hepatitis: A, B, C, D, and E. only the first three are common in the united states.

the vaccine only protects you from one kind of hepatitis.
HEP B and C are more dangerous than HEP A because, if not treated, they can cause permanent liver damage which can lead to liver cancer.

so make sure you talk to your obgyn. because if you are at a high risk for contracting hep b, you should probably get vaccinated.

hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

I don't consider myself to be at high risk. I had the first two shots done because I was in massage therapy and the vaccination is strongly recommended since you are taught how to massage the inside of the mouth. What type of hep can you get from the mouth? Anyone have an idea of what type of shot I was probably getting? The place I was getting them done at told me I couldn't have any while pg?

Old 04-19-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User

i believe that the one that most people are vaccinated against is hepb. i used to work at a physical therapy clinic and that's why i got it.
anyway, i would ask your obgyn about it just to be sure.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #5

caedmyn HB User

I believe both B & C are transmitted through bodily fluids (I'm not sure about A). Hep B is what is recommended for high risk groups (health care professionals, police, etc). You can be tested to see if you are immune after receiving the vaccinations. If you are concerned about contracting it through massage, you could either not do the inside of the mouth, or wear 2 pairs of gloves. You could probably do some research if you are interested in getting the third one during pregnancy to see if it truly is safe.

Closed Thread