It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User
vaccines

My son is pushing 8 weeks old which means it's about time for vaccines. Are they an option and should I have him get them. Ive read little about metal content?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: vaccines

You will hear differing options and in the end it does have to be your decision, but in my opinion the chances of contracting a serious disease like menengitis, diptheria, tetanus, etc. are much greater and usually much more serious, than the possible side effects of the vaccines. I am not saying all side effects are minor. Sometimes they are not, but that is very, very rare. All three of our children have had all of their vaccines and none has ever had any reactions more serious than slight fever and fussiness. Keep in mind too that if you child is going to public or private school, in most states your child is required to be vaccinated against many of these illnesses prior to entry. Some states are much more lax about it, but many are not. Good luck with your decision.

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2005, 08:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

You should do your own reasearch. Usually this questions starts a huge hot debate in online disscussions.

I do always wonder - What if nobody got the vaccines for their children? Some would say that the diseases were going away before the vaccines came about. They may have gone down, due to better hygene and the sort, but they did not go away. I have a friend who is in her late 20's and had Polio, she is now debilitated.

Some moms only get some of the vaccines. Some get them spread out and given later than usually scheduled. Some do not get them at all, and some get them all as scheduled. It's a big decision and it's hard to find un-biased info out there. It seems that all the material is either totally for or totally against it. It also seems that they still talk about the mercury in vax's and how terrible that is. They do not put the mercury in them anymore, except the flu vax.

Good luck with your decision. It's a big one and one of the hardest you will have to make.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
(female)

dannysmom HB User

You must do your research. Most of the info is for vaccination, you will have to look a little harder to find info about the bad things. I have 3 kids and none of them have received any vaccinations. BioAdoptMom3--I need to correct you on something. Vaccines are NOT REQUIRED for any child in any state to enter school. You can obtain waivers. Public schools are not allowed to refuse your child admission beacuse you have not vaccinated. Private schools are a little different, they are not required by law to accept your waiver. Even though they may not put mercury in vaccines anymore look at the list of ingredients in vaccines and you will see some pretty bad stuff. Why would you want to inject that into your tiny baby? Few doctors will tell you about any risks that are associated with the vaccines. Has you dr said anything to you? There is a message board about vaccines that you should check out. And also do your research, don't let the drs push you into something that you don't feel comfortable with, it can wait until you have found the answers that you need.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

2fst HB User

You do have the option as to whether or not you want to get them. They have paper work you can sign saying you do not want them. However you may have problems with school later on. But they are expected to respect your decision. I myself never had them, neither has DH. And more then likely DS will not get them either. There are studies that show that 1 in 300 children that are vaccinated become autistic and there are studies that show that that is not true. It is very contriversal. And you have to make the decision. Talk to the peditrician, mine gave me a list of all the vaccines, what the benefits were and it listed all the potential side effects. It also explained exactly what each shot was for and when you should get them. Maybe you can get something like that.

Old 07-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

Yes, I am concerned about all the autism and SIDS hype floating around regarding vaccinations. I think I will request this post to be moved into the vaccinations board though. Thank you...

Old 07-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #7
(female)

dannysmom HB User

Another poster said that side effects are rare. In a book I have it says that in a survey of drs in 7 states only 18% would make an adverse reaction report. 82% DO NOT report reactions, mild or otherwise! How can we have a true sense of how "safe" they are if drs don't make reports? "Pediatrics" did a study in which parents were asked to observe any changes in their child's behavior or physical condition after a shot. Only 7% were able to report no reaction at all.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

I sat do your own research. I can tell you one thing check into the autism board on here you will learn alot about it. Lynn My 3 yr old son has autism its becouse of his shots and vaccines. there is heavy metals in vaccines it can trigger things like autism,addhd ect. Our children do not need that. Until the age of 6 months the babies brains are still developing. this mercury in these vaccines go straight to the brain. Its a horriable thing.. I dont believe trhey need shots at all but if they must get them not any b4 the age of three. and spread them all out. not at 1 times. there is mercury in many vaccines and shots even Chicken pox and the flu shot too. ..

I could go on and on but I wont research it and research Autism and the like between the two.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-07-2005 at 06:26 PM.

Old 07-05-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

As far as I know, as a teacher in a public school in FL, vaccines are required unless you site a health or religious reason. The health reason has to have a doctor's signature. I am sure many people who do not do vaccines lie about their reasons to get around it, but I could not in good consciousness do that.

There may be reactions, but most are minor. I am sure there are a small percentage who have severe reactions, however I still think the danger of something like menigitis or tetanus is greater than a severe reaction. Everyone here who is against vaccines is mentioning the dangerous reactions. Let me mention that a very dear friend of mine had a three year old son who died of meningitis four years before the vaccine became widely available. I am sure no one could convince her and her dh that vaccines are more dangerous than the diseases themselves. I also have a nephew who is now 21 years old, who almost died of meningitis when he was 17 months old. He is not deaf, but suffers hearing loss because of it. I know that the first thing many parents think of when they want to refuse a vaccine is measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, etc. but there are many, many more serious diseases than that out there and they kill!

You have to make the right decision for you and your child, but while you are researching vaccine reactions do yourself and your child a favor and be sure to do some research on diseases like diptheria, tetanus, meningitis, polio and whooping cough. You must look at both sides before making your decision. Your reasearch cannot be one sided if you want to make the right decision and that applies to anything in life.

Nancy

Old 07-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #10
(female)

TESS1 HB User

I am the mother of a 12 year old who has seizures, which I believe are due to her 1 year old immunizations. Her seizures are mild now, but up until a couple of years ago she would seize for sometimes 45 minutes to an hour at a time. Nobody could tell me what was wrong with her. She went to some of the best neurologists and they could not find anything. This went on for years. By that time of course she had all her other immunizations. Then one day I was reading a magazine article and it was about a man, a police officer to be exact, from my area, who had been accused of "shaken baby syndrome". His son did not die, but he is a vegetable. It was the same area, same time frame and everything. It was finally determined that the shots had caused his brain to turn to mush. I talked to my doctor and she agreed that it was highly probably that this was the culprit in my case as well. So now here I am, 3 months pregnant and I am already fighting with my husband, (who is not the biological father of my 12yr old) about the immunizations. Actually, I would not say fighting with my husband, but more like the in-laws. They disagree. My husband knows I'm the boss so he will do whatever I want. He is really a nice guy, but this is causing a family dispute. Then the other day we were listening to AM radio and a piece came on about the dangers of immunizations and how the first case of Autism was diagnosed in 1931, the same year that immunizations started. Autism has worsened with many of the chemicals found in these immunizations, especially since the early 1990's when the chemical make-up of a certain shot changed. I don't remember what shot or what chemical. They say they no longer use thimersol, which is the mercury, but thimersol is not the only dangerous chemical used. But it's still such a hard decision. Your damned if you do and damned if you don't. I can sit here and say I will not immunize, but I myself am still struggling with that decision. My mom is a polio survivor and she has many problems to this day, so I have seen what can happen when not vaccinated ????? I home school my daughter and will do the same with this child, so I am not worried about schools rejecting my child because of shots, but I will definetely be doing more research before I make my final decision.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:51 AM   #11
Inactive

mommaboyz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESS1
. I don't remember what shot or what chemical. They say they no longer use thimersol, which is the mercury, but thimersol is not the only dangerous chemical used. But it's still such a hard decision. Your damned if you do and damned if you don't. I can sit here and say I will not immunize, but I myself am still struggling with that decision. My mom is a polio survivor and she has many problems to this day, so I have seen what can happen when not vaccinated ?????.
as for the mercury and thimersol. its not that its not being given out its that there not putting it in most shots now. or making most vaccines with it now. Its still on all the vaccines on the shelves that was made before hand still being given out today. in the infant shots hepb and the MMr is bad too. it is also in the chicken pox shot and the flu shot. and if you are pg with B- blood and have the rogam shot its in that shot as well.

Last edited by mommaboyz; 07-07-2005 at 05:52 AM.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

If you space them out, or only get one (perhaps the menegitis one since that disease seems to be especially dangerous) are the typical risks of vaccinations still there?

Old 07-07-2005, 04:04 PM   #13

jriegel HB User

my thoughts and suggestions are to wait until the child's immune, skeletal and cerebral systems are more developed (as in YEARS down the road). in a home environment, a breast fed, unvaccinated baby has slim chances of contracting anything except if the mother or family have promiscuous sex or drug habits (which it doesn't seem like you do!) or a hospital environment where extreme sterilization has caused viruses and bacteria to mutate and become resistant to any kind of defense (the worst right now is staph infection, and this is common, public knowledge) where strangers who do not share your daily germs, dna or bodily fluids come in from all over with their own germs and diseases and infections not common to you or your family.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Frynd1 HB User

I'm starting to really hate myself for letting the dr give my son the hep b vaccination at his first check up...if he only cried a little and generally had no problem with it, does that mean he's okay or could it have still caused damage? Should I continue with the series? Should I just pick and chose which shots to give him? Any considered safe? I am putting off his dr appt

Old 07-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #15
(female)

dannysmom HB User

The group at highest risk of contracting hep b are intravenous drug users, prostitutes, and sexually active gay men.

Closed Thread