It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2005, 10:20 AM   #1

lacunakitty1121 HB User
Meningitis Shot

Hey.

I'm a college freshman, and they require us to get Meningitis shots. (fun, huh?) Firstly, I am incredibly phobic of shots. I pass out the minute it goes past the first layer of skin. My heart slows, my entire body turns white as a sheet, and I faint. It never fails.

Well, I am scheduled to get this shot next wednesday (my birthday - oh joy!). And I really don't know much about this vaccine.

My questions are:
1. Where do they inject it? (a normal "arm" injection?)
2. How much does it hurt?
3. What are the side effects?
4. What people should not get this vaccine? (people with certain problems and such)

Thank you in advance.
-LacunaKitty1121

Old 11-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User
Re: Meningitis Shot

i had the shot when i was i college. i think it was in 2000. anyway, it was given to me in the arm and it didn't hurt when they gave it to me. my arm was a little sore for a day or two after getting it .... just like with any shot. i didn't have any other side effects. as far as who should not get one, someone at your student health center will be able to answer that. good luck and don't worry, it'll be over in just one second!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2005, 11:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

They will have the information printed up on a brochure for you to read before you get the shot. Usually you shouldn't get vaccines if you have immune system problems (organ transplants, AIDS...), or if you are allergic to the ingredients in the vaccine. Side effects in general from vaccines include generally feeling a little under the weather, soreness of your arm, etc.

If you know that you may pass out, tell the nurses so that they can have you lie down while you receive the shot.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:58 PM   #4

lacunakitty1121 HB User

Thank you both.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
(female)

PrincessTilly HB User

I hate having injections as well - i had the meningitis one a few months ago in my upper arm and it was totally fine. I have had a lot of injections recently as I have been travelling, and the meningitis one was the least painful, and had absolutley no side effects. I hope you're ok with it! dont worry about hating injections - I freaked out when i had to have my first injection when i was getting them earlier last year - the nurse who was giving it said that so many people hate them, and so many people pass out from them that its not usual, so i think all nurses and doctors are understanding. You'll be fine! Think happy thoughts! I usually ask the nurse to talk to me while she's doing it, which takes my mind of it a bit!
Tilly x

Old 01-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Joan1980 HB User

If you don't like injections, your instincts or common sense is telling you something. RESEARCH! Don't let anyone inject you with any drugs. Legal or illegal. They can not make you healthier. Your body has to get rid of the injection again and all the adjuvants, heavy metals, antibiotics, foreign protein, etc.

The body seems to manage the virus ok, although it goes a foreign route via the blood, but all the other ingredients in vaccines are at best a problem that needs to be removed again.

If you suffer from allergies or asthma you can be sure it's due to the foreign proteins that vaccines are grown on.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #7
(male)

NCGuy HB User

I had the meningitis shot due to travel and had no problem. The new meningtis vaccine (Menactra) is supposed to last 10 years compared to the older version that only lasted three. You get it in your upper arm just like a flu shot. It is highly reccomended for college students and as of 2006 will be given to all kids when they reach 11-12 years old. If you read about the disease and what it can do, you'll want to be protected.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:51 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Is the shot only recommended for students living in dorms??
I can see how that would be a necessity. But most of the population does not get the shot and is fine without it.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:25 AM   #9
(male)

foxfire4321 HB User

Students in dorms get the shot because of the epidemiology of menigitis. The disease spreads through crowded, low hygiene environments best (i.e. college dorms), and is fairly easy to contain in the normal environment (houses, apatrments). The difference is the amount of daily contact between cohabitants.

Old 03-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User

Thanks! I am not around crowds much (only when I sit in class) and live with my parents who have good hygiene

Closed Thread