It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2005, 05:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jill30 HB User
Rubella vac.

I just got tested for rubella and I am not up todate on the mmr vac. I am afraid to take this vac because of everthing I have been reading. Need advice.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Joan1980 HB User
Re: Rubella vac.

This vaccine can cause Rheumatoid Arthritis in teenagers or older.

Measles, mumps, and rubella are childhood disease. Those viruses should never be injected into a mature body because we don't have the capability to deal with it at this age. That is why they are called "childhood disease".

Even though you don't show antibodies does not mean that you are in danger of getting the disease. It has never been proven that antibodies truly protect a person from any disease.

There were 4 cases of rubella embriopathy in Switzerland between 1995 and 2001 of which two of the women were fully vaccinated against rubella and showed antibodies.
So, that shows that the vaccine serves no purpose.

Never take that vaccine when you are pregnant. It can cause birth defects. The chance of you getting rubella while pregnant is extremely slim. You have not gotten it in ??? years, why would you get it suddenly now?

If I were pregnant and had no rubella antibodies, I would use caution around sick children for the first trimester.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

You can get these diseases at any age. Historically, they were considered childhood diseases because when there were no vaccines, most people got them when they were children (just like children get more colds and other illnesses). They are diseases that you only get once, and so the first time you are exposed you get it. When a disease is present in the society, you are likely to be exposed first in childhood, thus get it in childhood, and never get it again. You never get it again because after the first exposure your body produces antibodies which recognize the virus and attack it if you are exposed again. This is the principle that vaccines are based on. And vaccines DO work. That is why people in the U.S. no longer have to live in fear of polio and smallpox. But certainly there can be risks associated with vaccines, too, although these risks are generally very very small.

Measles, mumps, and rubella infections can be very dangerous for adults. You should discuss the risks of not getting vaccinated as well as your concerns about the risks of vaccination with your health care provider and come to a decision that you are comfortable with. But you should definitely discuss your personal situation with your doctor or a nurse.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:42 AM   #4
(female)

Prayingmom HB User

In 1937, my Grandmother was expecting a baby when she contracted German measles/rubella. Because of the measles the baby boy was born prematurely and was still born. He was the 8th child born in the family and would be the last. To all appearances his tiny body was perfect. My mother and her twin sister who were two at the time, also had measles when their little brother was born. They wanted to hold him. Some people didn't want to let them, but their mother said they could. My mom remembers holding the baby.

Knowing this had happened to my grandmother, I never wanted it to happen to me and my mother wasn't sure if I'd had German measles. On my vaccination record it wasn't listed that I'd ever been immunized against measles. I was born in 1956, and the first vaccine I received was the polio vaccine. At the time, our whole family, including mom and dad, went to the high school and lined up to get a sugar cube--that contained the polio vaccine. My parents were very familiar with disease quarantines and had actually seen the effects crippling effects of polio in their own community as they were growing up, and the polio vaccine to them was a tremendous relief. I guess at this time was when childhood vaccinations were starting, so I didn't get all the vaccines.

I went to our family doctor when I was 18. This was years before I married at age 23 and had children at age 29. I asked for and received this vaccination. This vaccine is not given to pregnant women and you should not get pregnant within 3 months of receiving it. Early in a pregnancy a blood test is done to see if you are already protected against German measles -- it checks the titer or level of antibodies. If a woman is already pregnant and not protected, she needs to avoid exposing herself to anyone who might have German measles.

Last edited by Prayingmom; 12-11-2005 at 07:46 AM.

Old 12-11-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User

my mother was vaccinated at age 37 for chicken pox because she never got it as a child. historically chicken pox is also considered a "childhood" disease but she had no problems whatsoever with the vaccine.
i would follow your healthcare provider's advice. there is a reason they do these tests BEFORE you become pregnant to make sure you are immune. most of these diseases are much more dangerous if contracted as an adult and especially during pregnancy. personally i got vaccinated for chicken pox at 15, had a tetanus booster at 24, and a flu shot two months ago and didn't have any trouble with either.

Old 12-12-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jill30 HB User

I do not have an appt with a new gyn until jan. I would like his opinion not the gyn that I just went to that just blew it off.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
(male)

NCGuy HB User

The MMR vaccine is a live vaccine (as is Varicella) and shouldnt be taken when pregnant but there shouldnt be a problem otherwise. I think they reccomend you have two MMR's now - and colleges want you to have had two. I was born in 1947 and all we got then was smallpox. In jr.high I got the polio shot. The MMR didnt come out until 1968 and I had already graduated from high school by then. Several years ago I mentioned to the nurse that I had never received the MMR vaccination. She told me there would be no problem getting it at any age. I was there to get my tetanus booster and a flu shot and went ahead and got the MMR and had no problem.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Joan1980 HB User

Well good for you!
You also got a healthy dose of mercury at that time. Not to mention aluminum (Alzheimer), formaldehyde (cancer), antifreeze (in disinfectants, dyes, plastics, germicides, preservatives), antibiotics (beneficial bacteria slayer), foreing DNA (SV40)... just to mention a few things.

Many people get rheumatoid arthritis several months/years after getting the MMR vaccine as an adult. It's one of the side effects and is mentioned in the insert paper.

Guess you were lucky, so far.

BTW, any doctor or nurse will tell you it's no problem getting it. All they do is inject it into YOU. But ask them to sign a piece of paper making that sort of statement and you'll see them back peddling real fast.

Closed Thread