It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 04:47 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Do all shots have mercury in them?? Also flu shot question

Do all immunizations have mercury in them??

Also, I am not allergic to eggs (I eat them) but meds with sulphur in them make me throw up. So is it OK for me to get a flu shot?? I haven't had one in years, but plan to this coming flu season.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Do all shots have mercury in them?? Also flu shot question

According to the CDC, most of the flu shots have thimerosol (mercury) in them. THere is a substantial amount made WITHOUT mercury but basically, unless you make a fuss and your doctor has access to the small amount without thimerosol, you'll be getting mercury in yours.

I had one in January and my arm was immobilized with pain for days...in March I contracted influenza.
I will NOT get another one...ever!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

The sulfa meds sensitivity doesn't have anything to do with the egg allergy so you should be OK. And the amount of thimerosol in the flu shot is minimal. I am sensitive to it (had to change contact lens saline solutions because of it) but have had no trouble with the flu shots. I get them every year as I have asthma.

I've never had pain with the shot other than the fact that it was an injection and the person giving it wasn't very good at doing it. And waiting till January to get one was probably too late in the season to protect you. They always tell me to get mine as soon as they have them available in Oct/Nov..so I do. Haven't had the flu since I started them 10 years ago.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:54 AM   #4
(male)

NCGuy HB User

I dont think a sulfa allergy would be a problem with any vaccine (but to make sure check the package insert). There are more and more thimerosal (mercury) free vaccines available. Usually the vaccines with it are multi-dose vials since the mercury is added as a preservative. The nasal mist flu vaccine is mercury free. Also the Varicella (Chickenpox), MMR (Measles),Pneumonia, Rabies, Yellow Fever, Typhoid and the new Meningitis vaccine MENACTRA all all mercury free. There are mercury free versions of the Hep A, Hep B, Polio and Flu vaccines but not every provider may have them. You may go to "www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimerosal" to get a list of what ingredients are in each vaccine. I get a flu shot every year and have never had any problem whatsoever. Neither have I had a problem with any vaccine. Sometimes the person administering the shot can make a big difference.

Closed Thread