It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User
Chicken Pox vaccine?

Does anyone know the pro's and con's of this new vaccine? I'm hesitatnt to give it to my son...........

Old 04-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Chicken Pox vaccine?

On the pro side, if he doesn't get chicken pox then he won't miss school, his parents won't miss work, and most importantly he won't be at risk for developing serious complications (which are rare, but can be deadly).

On the con side, people argue that the length of immunity from the vaccine is unknown, so if you give it to a young child they may lose their immunity in their adult years, when the disease is even more dangerous. So why risk that when they can just have it naturally and then be (almost) guaranteed lifetime immunity.

Also, there might be something about shingles, but I'm not sure... I know that if you actually have chickenpox, you are at risk for shingles later in life. I don't know what your risk for shingles is if you have had the vaccine.

I had the vaccine, but not until I was going into college, because I had never had chickenpox and didn't have any immunity. But I was born before the vaccine was invented.

That's another thing... with so many other children being vaccinated, there's no guarantee that even if you don't get him vaccinated because you want him to have them naturally, that he'll catch them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Trust your gut--skip the chicken pox vaccine for sure. While you're at it, do some SERIOUS research about the horrible risks of other vaccines as well.

Old 04-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Thanks ladies! I think I probably will skip this one.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
(female)

housewife1218 HB User

hey, whats wrong with the chicken pox vaccine?? My kids have it and they got the chicken pox. I found that having the vaccine actually made it easier on them and me. They only had it on their ankles and feet. When I was young my mom went through hell to take care of me. With the vaccine, no trouble at all!!

Old 04-15-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
(female)

txmomof3 HB User

Side note ---> I am a pro-vaxxer who believes in informed pro-choice when it comes to vaccines. I believe very strongly in vaccinations and do not want to offend anyone. My posts are simply the reasons why I vaccinated my children. I want everyone to make their own choices regarding vaccination of their children!!

Chicken pox can be a very serious illness. I know of several otherwise perfectly healthy children in my area in the past few years who have died from the disease. The risks from the vaccine are far less than the risks from the disease. I have a friend whose child had a true vaccine reaction (1 in 1,000,000 chance!!!) who went ahead and vaccinated the rest of his children. Why?? Because, after reading all the credible research, he realized that he was risking his children's lives more by not vaccinating them than vaccinating them. Please consider not risking it.

Last edited by txmomof3; 04-17-2006 at 02:59 PM.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:12 AM   #7
(male)

NCGuy HB User

Getting the chicken pox vaccine doesnt guarantee your child wont get it because its not 100% effective but should your child get it, it would be far less severe. Natural immunity is best of course, but if a child hasnt gotten it by the time they enter school, it might be a good idea to get vaccinated. It's a live vaccine and its thought to last a lifetime but since it hasnt been out that long, no one knows. Being a live vaccine, your child may experience a slight rash for a couple of days after getting it. They are working on a shingles vaccine now that would be for adults.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
(female)

cake444 HB User

Hi, I am a mom who just went through shingles with my 7 year old son whom was vaccinated with the varicella vaccine almost 3 years ago. I have a post thats title is kids can get shingles from the chicken pox vaccine. You can take a minute to read it if you would like. It was not a fun situation by any means, it was very scarey. Myself & my 3 brothers all had the chicken pox at the same time & I would have rather dealt with that anyday rather than the unknown happenings of the shingles caused by a vaccine that nobody has any idea the long term effects of. My son was in & out of doctors office at least every other day. He had to go to the eye doctor over & over again because they were spreading downward towards his eye & could cause permanent damage. So if I had it to do all over again I would not have vaccinated but thats just me. Everybody has to make there own decisions but I think that before we do these things we should at least be informed.

Hope it helps you at least a little.

Closed Thread