It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #1

TRiley HB User
Polio - help needed

I'm an 18 year old male and a few years back in Secondary school I remember not having my Polio vaccination done. I'm 90% sure it was the Polio vaccination I missed but and as such am not sure if I still need it or not.

My question is, how important is it that I get vaccinated against Polio?
Also, how would my GP check if I need the injeciton or not?

I've developed quite a fear on injections, but especially blood tests. The thought of the belt tightening on my veins and the needle sucking blood from me , makes me weak just thinking about it. As a result, my last two blood tests caused me to have some form a small fit and fainting.

It's stupid I know, but I'm simply real scared of blood tests and I think if I inform my GP that I am not sure wether or not I have been vaccinated, I may need a blood test to check?

Old 04-29-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
(male)

NCGuy HB User
Re: Polio vaccine - do I need it now?

The polio vaccine is usually not given to adults unless you are travelling to an endemic area. Normally you receive all four doses of the polio vaccine by the time you are six years old. What you might have received (or missed) if you were in secondary school was the Hepatitis B vaccination. There are three shots to the Hepatitis B vaccine. If you missed one of those, you can pick up where you left off at anytime. You need all three to have full protection. If it wasnt the Hepatitis B vaccination, it could have been the Tetanus (Tetanus/Diptheria 'Td') shot you missed. You would want to get that one asap and remember to get a booster every ten years. The school should have your vaccination records and/or your personal physician. P.S. If you havent had your second MMR (measles,mumps) vaccination, that is one you should get also and if you're headed to college, you should get the meningitis shot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
(female)

hipychick HB User
Re: Polio - help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRiley View Post
I'm an 18 year old male and a few years back in Secondary school I remember not having my Polio vaccination done. I'm 90% sure it was the Polio vaccination I missed but and as such am not sure if I still need it or not.

My question is, how important is it that I get vaccinated against Polio?
Also, how would my GP check if I need the injeciton or not?

I've developed quite a fear on injections, but especially blood tests. The thought of the belt tightening on my veins and the needle sucking blood from me , makes me weak just thinking about it. As a result, my last two blood tests caused me to have some form a small fit and fainting.

It's stupid I know, but I'm simply real scared of blood tests and I think if I inform my GP that I am not sure wether or not I have been vaccinated, I may need a blood test to check?
I know that they have a test where they can check your blood for the antibodies. You should ask your GP.

Closed Thread