It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 09:26 PM   #1
(female)

missaustralia HB User
Allergic

hey everyone

im allergic to egg and i was talking to my doctor and he told me i wasn't allowed to get a flu vaccination because it is egg based, does anyone know of any other that is egg based that could affect me?

Thanks

Old 04-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
(female)

missy02 HB User
Re: Allergic

I know that egg is in the chicken pox vaccine, because my daughter is also allergic to egg. There may be more.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

They inform you before you get a vaccine about that kind of stuff. If you had showed up at a flu shot clinic, for example, you would have been given an information sheet with a warning about people with egg allergies. You can also just keep this in mind and inform doctors about your allergy if they propose to give you a vaccination, just to be safe. Also, you have most likely gotten most vaccinations that you would need already. So pretty much you've just got to worry about the tetanus vaccine, or if you were to travel and need vaccines for that. Do you have that inhaled nasal vaccine available in Australia? I'm not sure if that is grown in eggs like the injected vaccine, but it might be something to ask about if you have it there.

Old 04-29-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
(male)

NCGuy HB User

The only two vaccines that are prepared in eggs are the Flu and the Yellow Fever vaccines. Persons allergic to eggs should avoid those. Some vaccines use one or more of the following (gelatin, alum, bakers yeast, neomycin, polymycin, streptomycin) and persons allergic to them should check before getting vaccinated...i.e. tell the person who is going to administer the vaccine beforehand what you are allergic to and read the Vaccine Information Statement they give you. Also, some vaccines are in vials with latex covers and someone with a latex allergy should be aware of that. The Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine is prepared with gelatin and neomycin in it (but not prepared in eggs).

Closed Thread