It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #1

lacunakitty1121 HB User
tb test question

Alright - I'm extremely phobic of shots, needles, anything medically invasive. It's in my records.

My boss just called (I'm going to work at a summer camp) and he wants to have my immunization records and proof I've had a tb test. I had a tb test when I was younger and it came out negative. I'm hoping that will be good enough for them...

My question is: I know there's a new way to do the tb test. Under the top layer of skin. Does it hurt? Should I be nervous about anything? Will I have to get it again if I had it when I was younger and it came out negative? I've always had a clean bill of health...

thanks...

Old 05-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: tb test question

Your employer will have to follow the state/national laws regarding how recent the test must be. The reason that it might have to be repeated if it's been several years is because it's possible that you could have been exposed to the bacteria between the negative test and now.

The test uses a very small needle that goes just under the skin. They inject a small amount of fluid and take out the needle. It might cause a little blister-like bubble, but that will go away within 15-30 minutes after administration of the test. The needle stick doesn't really hurt much, since it's a very small needle (smaller than they usually use to draw blood). It may sting a little bit when they inject the fluid. But really, the pain is over in 10 seconds. It is still done on the inside of the forearm. You then have to return a few days later (they will tell you when) to get the test read, where they just look at and maybe run their hand over your arm where they gave the test.

So yeah, it is a needle. But it's a very small one. And it's fast. It really doesn't hurt for more than 10-15 seconds. Just take a few deep breaths and it will all be over with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
Re: tb test question

I didn't think it hurt at all the one time I had it done and our three children have never cried or even indicated that it was painful in any way, even when they were babies and toddlers. There really is nothing to it.

Nancy

Closed Thread