It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2006, 07:23 PM   #1

RichMan HB User
How many rabies shots in a day?

I read an article then saw a TV news story about a guy who was bitten I believe two days ago , by (according to the TV news account )a rabid racoon. The newspaper article stated that he was taken to the hospital and given 8 shots and might face four more boosters. I know that the dreaded old style stomach injections are a thing of the past, but even still as I understand it, if you need to get these shots, they're given over a about a month period every couple of days, the number of injections being a total of 6. Also they're given in other sites than the abdomen. Anyone have more info on this topic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2006, 04:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: How many rabies shots in a day?

According to the CDC: "Rabies immune globulin and the first dose of rabies vaccine should be given as soon as possible after exposure. Additional doses of rabies vaccine should be given on days 3, 7, 14, and 28 after the first vaccination. Current vaccines are relatively painless and are given in your arm, like a flu or tetanus vaccine."

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/Prevention&Control/preventi.htm

Also, if you get bit by something, you might need a tetanus shot, too. So that could be three shots on the first day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2006, 07:22 AM   #3

RichMan HB User
Re: How many rabies shots in a day?

Kehorner, thank you for your reply. I was just surprised when they said this person had to have 8 injections, apparently on the day he was taken for medical attention. Back in the early 60s I had the Pasteur treatment, and I don't think I got anything like 8 shots in a day, but every day for at least three weeks, those long needles being injected into my abdomen were more than enough, believe me! I think I might have gotten a few other shots in the butt or arms, but the actual rabies shots were the ones that I can still see in my mind-no fun for a kid (9 y/old). Thanks again for replying.

Closed Thread