It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
(male)

orodreth HB User
Should I get the chickenpox vaccine?

Hi, I'm 22 and have never had chickenpox. I have spoken to colleages at work who say they had the chickenpox as an adult and became severely ill. One person was actually hospitalised.
Would I be advised to get the vaccine? I'm just a little worried about it.

Also weird, my brother who is 32, and my sister who is 12 haven't had the chickenpox either. Is that a coincidence or some strange genetic immunity?because I've read that more than 95% of Australians get chickenpox in childhood.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
(female)

NBW HB User
Re: Should I get the chickenpox vaccine?

i would get it for sure. i never got chicken pox as a child and was vaccinated at 15. i had no ill effects from the vaccine. interestingly my mom never had chicken pox either and also got vaccinated in her 40s.
i guess maybe we have some weird immunity too. but if you get the disease as an adult it can be very severe. so i would recommend getting vaccinated. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 02:19 AM   #3
(female)

svendenhowser HB User

I never had the chicken pox as a child either, that was until I was 18. My little sister (then 15) caught it and spread it to me. I had hung around other children who had chicken pox my whole life and never caught it. The rest of my family has been chicken pox free their whole lives, even after being in contact with my sister and I when we had it.

When I had it at 18 it was really mild, I only had a couple of spots, wasn't bad at all. But everyone is different Get the vaccine if you want, better than getting chicken pox!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:32 AM   #4
(male)

orodreth HB User

Thanks for the advice guys!

Old 11-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #5
(female)

campamy HB User

Hey, If I were you I would get the vaccine IMMEDIATLY!!! Last December ended up being one of the scariest times of my life. My 25-year old husband, who works out all the time and is extremely healthy caught the chicken pox. He never had it as a child. The severity is different in everyone, but most adults who catch it have severe cases. He broke out in new spots for 7 days and was in so much pain he couldn't even speak or function until he was given Vicodin for the pain. Thank God the pox didn't spread into his lungs causing hospitaliztion, but he had them all in his mouth, throat, genitals, everywhere. There were even two trips to the ER he was in such bad shape. He missed a month of work (thank God he's military) and the holiday season didn't even seem to exist! I also had a 22 year old cousin whose pox did spread to his lungs and heart and he almost died. He now has a weakened heart and is on many drugs for the rest of his life.
As a side note, my then 4 month old daughter THANK GOD did not catch the chicken pox, because of breastfeeding and getting my antibodies. I was terrified for 2 weeks waiting to see if she would break out.
Also, if you were to come down with chicken pox, you are contagious for a few days before you even get sick and break out in pox, meaning you can spread it around to lots of people. If a pregnant woman who has never had chicken pox were to catch it, it could mean severe birth defects or death in her unborn child.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:41 AM   #6
(female)

smackliet HB User

Before getting the vaccine have them check to see if youhave the antibodies already. Often people are exposed but dont get ill. My daughter was checked because i knew she had been exposed but she never got sick. She did have the antibodies so she didn't require the vaccine.

Closed Thread