It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

ladidah HB User
hepatitis b vaccine

I am wondering about how effective the hepatitis b vaccine is? My doctor said I might have hep b, but i was vaccinated 8 years ago! How could this be possible?

Old 01-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
(female)

canadadiva HB User
Re: hepatitis b vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
I am wondering about how effective the hepatitis b vaccine is? My doctor said I might have hep b, but i was vaccinated 8 years ago! How could this be possible?
Hi, the vaccination doesn't last forever. Boosters are required every now and then. Did you get the titre (level) checked at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
(female)

ladidah HB User

No I'm didn't get anything checked. But my doctor never mentioned it to me as a possibility. It's required to go to high school where I live. My boyfriend also got the vaccine a few years ago for college and we always have protected sex, so something does not seem right here!

Old 01-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
(female)

canadadiva HB User

I would ask him to clarify what "might have hep B" means. He should be able to take a blood test to find out if you do or not.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
(female)

ladidah HB User

thanks for your response!
i'm finding out for sure tomorrow, but she just said i tested positive for hepatitis (not sure which test cause there are so many). But, she said it didn't seem right bc i was vaccinated so she wants to take another test to make sure it wasn't wrong or to further look into it.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
(female)

ladidah HB User

I just visited my doctor. Apparantly my hepatitis test showed positive antibodies AND antigens. THis means that I am immune to the disease and that the vaccination "took." But it also means I have the virus. She said it was most likely a false positive unless I contracted it before I was vaccinated which is unlikely becaus I was like 12 or 13 at the time.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
(male)

NCGuy HB User

It's most likely a false positive. If you received all three doses of the vaccine, you should be protected. I remember when i got mine, they did a titer three months after my last vaccination to make sure it took. I got the Hepatitis A & B vaccine together in the same shot, a vaccine called Twinrix. Hepatitis B is caused by being exposed to someones bodily fluids, usually during sex, but also like sharing a toothbrush with someone that was infected. Once you get the series of three vaccinations, there are no boosters currently reccomended.

Closed Thread