It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
(female)

BeautiNightmare HB User
Tetanus Shot Effects

I got my tetanus shot today. I'm having pretty severe pain, a hard time moving my left arm without flinching. I have PE first thing tommorow- do I need to sit out? Will I be okay to excersice, or not?

Last edited by moderator2; 01-29-2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: do not post your age on the message boards

Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User
Re: Tetanus Shot Effects

Probably it would be a good idea to sit out. I had a tetanus booster recently, and I swear, it was a week before my arm was back to normal. The first couple days after the shot, my arm was quite sore and I had to go walking the second day instead of doing aerobics like I usually do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
(male)

NCGuy HB User

Your arm probably feels fine now. Some people have more soreness than others after a Tetanus/Diptheria booster and it helps if your arm is completely relaxed when they give it. A stiff muscle will make your tetanus shot really hurt. You may have gotten the new adult Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis vaccination they reccomend as a booster for teens and adults now and it had a tendency to cause more soreness than the regular Tetanus (Td) shot. I remember them telling me to move my arm around alot after I got my shot.

Old 02-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

Yes, my arm is fine now. You're probably right about the tense muscles. The thing is I HATE shots and needles. I have actually completely fainted having 1 vial of blood drawn at the doctor's office (not a fun experience). Shots and needles make me feel like I'm fixing to pass out. I was nervous about the shot and very tense, I'm sure. I do think the adult booster caused more pain than the original shot, but at least now I don't have to worry about it for awhile again...

Last edited by livinTX; 02-09-2007 at 06:20 PM.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #5
(male)

NCGuy HB User

I guess if you're terrified of needles, its hard not to be tense when its coming at you, but a tense muscle will definately make the shot hurt more and longer. The adult booster they are giving now (and for the last year) has the Pertussis vaccine added to what is normally just the Tetanus/Diptheria shot. Because of the re-occurance of Pertussis, it was reccomended that teenagers and adults who are due for a booster get one with the Pertussis protection. You only get this Tdap once, then you go back to getting the regular Td (tetanus/dipteria) from then on. For some reason, the tetanus shot does leave your arm sore more so than other vaccinations such as Hep A,B,flu or polio. I understand the new HPV vaccine will also leave you with a sore arm and in some cases, a slight fever....and if you're tense, you'll hurt a whole lot more. When a friend of mine got her Tdap, the nurse gave it to her higher in her arm than was probably correct and she hurt for a month. The best place for most vaccinations is in the center of your deltoid muscle, and they should tell you to be completely relaxed. Chicken Pox(Varicella) and MMR vaccinations are given in the fatty tissue at the back side of your arm and sting a little more going in since that area is more sensitive. Fortunately we dont get vaccinated for smallpox anymore (unless you're in the military). Those vaccinations caused a surface reaction and a large sore on your arm where it was given for at least three weeks and then left a dime sized scar to show you got it and it took.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I'm completely allergic to tetanus shots so I haven't had one since... 1990? I think? 89? Anyway, my arm swelled up and I couldn't move it for a week after getting it, and I remember it was more than just sore. I literally couldn't move it for over a week. I literally lost the use of that arm for a week.

Thankfully, my doctor said I don't need to get it because of how badly I reacted to it last time. Thankfully, she hasn't pushed the issue with me because I'd outright refuse to go through that hell again, that's for sure!

Closed Thread