It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kirsten07 HB User
Gardisil

i have HPV, the kind that could cause cancer. i had skin biopsied from my cervix and was told that i was in such an early stage, i just had some of the lesions that could cause cancer cells. they said i could get Gardisil, it cost 200 bucks a shot!! and i think there are 3 shots! my insurance only covers it up to age 11 and i'm 18 so am i a screwed out of this vaccination or are there places that arent as expensive?

Old 04-19-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Jenteal HB User
Re: Gardisil

Any OBGYN doctor will charge you that amount. How about going to your local heath center and see if they offer it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
(male)

NCGuy HB User

Kirsten, check with your local health dept as most vaccinations are free through age 18 and if there is a charge, it will most likely be much less expensive than at a physicians office. ALSO check with Planned Parenthood in your area. They should have the Gardasil vaccine available and Merck, the company that makes Gardasil, has a program set up to allow girls/women who are uninsured or under-insured to receive the vaccinations for free. You fill out a form, they fax it to Merck, and if accepted, the approval is faxed back in 15-20 mins and you can get the vaccine. PS, if you qualify for Merck's free vaccine program, it covers all of Merck's vaccines, which would include the MMR (Measles) or Hepatitis A & B vaccines and others should you need those as well. The Gardasil vaccination is given in your upper arm in three injections: First shot, Second shot in two months, Third shot four months later. It is highly effective protection against the two most commom viruses that cause cervical cancer as well as the two most common viruses that cause genital warts. The most common side effect is usually just a sore arm where you get the shot. Hope you can get the Gardasil vaccination free or at a reduced cost.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:22 AM   #4
(female)

PinkPeep HB User

Gardasil does not get rid of any HPV infection you already have! I didn't see any mention of that here so I wanted to make sure you were aware. It will protect you from getting certain types in the future, but will not eliminate what you already have. Just FYI.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

saucy_one HB User

Gardasil is NOT to be used if you already have HPV!!!

Your doctor is lying to you (or, is not up-to-date on his/her medical education).

Gardasil is no better than getting regular Pap testing (in fact, it is still recommended even to those that get this new vaccine). Too many think this is a vaccine against cancer and it is NOT.

Gardasil isn't for you. Don't inject toxins into your system. Get regular exams (and a new doctor) and keep yourself healthy through lifestyle and diet.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
(female)

EssentialPeace HB User

Just a reiteration, vaccines do not cure disease.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

There are different types of HPV so depending on which strain of the virus you have, gardasil vaccine can still offer some protection. No, it will not fix what you already have but depending on which virus it is it can still protect against some cancers. It's simple to look up and read for yourself. Do not accuse your doctor of lying to you before you familiarize yourself with the facts. He/she should be able to help you determine which strain you already have. Speak to the doctor again and make sure everything is explained to you but also look it up for yourself first so you have some knowledge. I am not allowed to give you a website but just type- gardasil vaccine into the search and you can find info.

Closed Thread