It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
(female)

HappyJoeyLucky HB User
Scared of getting flu shot

Hello everyone,

Everywhere you go, there are family, ads, etc, telling you to get a flu shot. Last year, I got a flu shot. About a week later, I had horrible swelling on my ears and eyes, and itching on my back. Had to take steroids for 3 days to eliminate swelling, and some cream to get rid of itching on back. For some strange reason, I think this reaction was due to flu shot. My family disagrees, and says it was due to an extremely stressful event which I was dealing with. To this day, I don't know why I had such a reaction, but now, I am scared of going for flu shot, more scared than getting the actual flu itself.

I would rather NOT get a flu shot, as I am not in a risk category, but I want to make my family happy, and I cannot bear for them to worry about me.

Please convince me that it is ok to get flu shot, or tell me how to convince my family that I don't need a flu shot, and I will be fine.

Thank you for your help,
Happy

Old 10-20-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

saucy_one HB User
Re: Scared of getting flu shot

Quote:
Please convince me that it is ok to get flu shot, or tell me how to convince my family that I don't need a flu shot, and I will be fine.
I would never try to convince anyone the flu shot is necessary OR okay. I don't believe in their effectiveness or safety. I do believe the toxic ingredients are harmful, Thimerosal is just one.

How old are you? Why would you have to convince your family (or anyone) as to whether or not you need it. It is none of their business. Tell them so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
(male)

Rheinau HB User

If you are 60+ plus then you should consider. I am 40 and get the shot every year. Have already had mine this year.

It's your life. If you don't want to get the shot don't get it. But if you get the flu and are a senior - it may kill you. You decide which is worse.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
(female)

EssentialPeace HB User

It sounds like you have had an adverse reaction to the flu shot. The next flu shot could kill you. I would suggest making sure that you are on top of your health, as healthy people do not get sick. Exercise, eat healthy and practice good hygiene.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
(female)

Angel HB User

Well I've gotton the flu shot a total of two times already and the first time I nearly blacked out (Don't know if it was because of the shot, but I have my suspicions). The second time I recieved the flu shot it made me terribly sick. I won't be getting this flu shot anymore.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
(female)

Piano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB UserPiano0105 HB User

I've had a flu shot for the past five years with no problem. However, this year six hours afterward I developed nausea that still has not gone away 1.5 weeks later. My doc insists it's not from the shot, but I think it's too coincidental to be anything else. Needless to say, I'll be very scared to get another one next year.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

When you think about it, it isn't only the flu shot that is heavily advertised, but it is drugs in general. You never hear or see an ad about an alternative to drugs, it seems they want us to think drugs are our only option to being healthy or normal. Seems odd to me.....

Anyways, are you an adult? If so, why are you trying to make your family happy as an adult? Don't discuss your medical issues with them so the communication isn't open for them to insist you get a flu shot. I would really encourage you to read about the ingreidents and negatives side effects to the flu shot, something that nobody tells you about and of course we all know the benefits of the flu shot, we see happy people with their families in the ads on TV! lol Anyway, please research it for yourself and make your own decision, especially if you are 18 or over. If your family is pushy, don't discuss this with them. Also look up building your own natural immunity, you won't worry about getting the flu then.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User

I had some weird side effects to the flu shots too...so I stopped getting them, then got the flu...I am now getting them again You don't want the flu.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Why do we act like the flu is some sort of plaque? I had it sometimes growing up and you miss a day or two of school, have an annoying fever and some chills and you get over it. Now everyone gets these shots and they do not protect you from the flu and they are not the answer to not get sick again, it really is as simple as taking care of yourself and you won't get sick.

Old 11-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaIn2006 View Post
Why do we act like the flu is some sort of plaque? I had it sometimes growing up and you miss a day or two of school, have an annoying fever and some chills and you get over it. Now everyone gets these shots and they do not protect you from the flu and they are not the answer to not get sick again, it really is as simple as taking care of yourself and you won't get sick.
If you only missed a day or two at school, then you didn't have the flu...

Old 11-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

The amount of days missed from school is NOT the point, I was just throwing it out there as an example. What I am wondering is why all of the sudden are we worried about getting sick and needing shots and drugs? I am not very old, and people were not like this when I grew up. You get sick, you deal with it and you get over it. Better yet, you take care of yourself and you are less likely to get sick. Why all the shots now? WHY are we all of the sudden dying from the flu? A shot doesn't pacify me, I want to know why we are scared of getting sick and why drugs are our only option, or the only option in our faces.......just makes me wonder.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Alexa, people always died of the flu. Substantial numbers, every winter. Most of them are over 60 or under 5, but not all. Remember 1919? 20 milion deaths worldwide, twice the toll of World War One--and that was at a time when the world's population was much smaller, and their were no commercial airlines.

Do you know why I get the flu shot? I come in contact with hundreds of people every day, most of whom come in contact with hundreds more. I've studied network theory, and when a certain percentage of the population is immune, the probability of an epidemic goes wayyy down. And the effects can be detected with immunity levels as low as ten percent.

I'm not protecting me. I've got good lungs, I'll live. Sure, I'll feel like roadkill for a week or so, but I'll be fine. I'm protecting my grandmother, my colleague's new baby, my friend with severe asthma, and other vulnerable people I don't even know.

No, it isn't the only option to stay healthy. Frequent and vigorous handwashing is a favorite of mine, highly effective in preventing colds, only moderately effective against the flu. Exercising, eating right, and getting enough sleep are all very helpful as well, and I do them, but there's always going to be that one day when you just couldn't sleep the night before, or you're worried about your mother, or whatever, and your resistance goes down.

If you have a lifestyle like mine, you will get sick from that one day, unless you also handwash, because I always come in contact with sick people. A dozen a day is really light.

I have no objection to your way of staying healthy, and I'm glad it works for you and your daughter. But it's not the only reasonable option.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jane,
Thanks for your response, I was just looking for another person's thoughts. I am always open to listen to other ideas and thoughts and I appreciate it.

Closed Thread