It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

lmarryat HB User
chicken pox vaccination

Both my children were vaccinated with the Varicella vaccination for chicken pox when it first became available? My children were ages 2 and 4 at the time. Since then we've moved, transferred their vaccination records and today went for a routine check up to a pediatrician we've been seeing over the last 2 years. Now, 8 years later, my children are ages 10 & 12. I asked if they needed booster shots for the chicken pox vaccine and was told yes. They both received that shot as well as Hepatitis A vaccination and my 12 year old son got a tetnus booster.

Hours later I'm re-thinking the booster shot, doing some research online and don't find any information regarding a booster shot for the varicella
vaccine. Did they both received shots they didn't need? If so should I be worried?

Old 11-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
(female)

EssentialPeace HB User
Re: chicken pox vaccination

Yes, you should be worried. They are now at greater risk of contracting shingles earlier in their lives.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

miyu HB Usermiyu HB User
Re: chicken pox vaccination

I don't think so, I think they will be ok, shots only last a little while in the body, and then they become useless, (most of them) sometimes they last a long time like 5 to 10 years, and then you can later contract the virus when the shot is no longer in the body. Some shots like Hepatitis are good for your life if you get the booster, I think you need the hepatitis shot 3 times, then you are done, if you miss your booster, 6 months later, then it completely leaves your body, and you have to start over. But if you get your booster, you are good for life. shots can be very strange that way.

like I posted in the Tetanus post, I only got my tetanus in grade nine, then 10 years later I contracted tetanus, its very rare, and I could have died (so it felt) this bateria lives is muscles and joints. so it is everywhere and it sucks. since I never got my booster which you get 5 to 10 years later, I contracted it.

I never got a chicken pox vac, as they never offered it as a child, our way of dealing with this virus was to expose the child to the virus and then let their body deal with it, however I have had chicken pox 5 times (also know as shingles) this virus has created total havoc to my body, I believe if they offered this vac when I was a child I would be better off.

Closed Thread