It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
(female)

ToxicWonderland HB User
Possible Tetanus Vaccine Reaction?

I know there are lots of threads on this, but I didn't find any that were quite what I was looking for, and it's a bit of a longer story.

I went for pre-screening for a job yesterday, and I had to do a lifting/back test. I lifted 50 lbs. ten times, walked 35 lbs. around on a cart with wheels 10 times, etc. I know I'm out of shape, but I wouldn't have expected any tremendous muscle strain from anything like that, and the tests were fairly easy despite my poor physical condition. I even passed them with flying colors.

I also went in for a physical exam, which included the tetanus shot that I was overdue for. Yay for free tetanus shots, boo for bad reactions. The shot itself didn't hurt a bit. i hardly felt anything at all. The woman asked me if it burned a bit, as I guess it can for some people, but it didn't. I felt nothing. A few hours later, my arm felt a little tired. Nothing more.

But I woke up this morning and I feel like a train wreck. No fever or anything, but there's a quarter sized red lump at the site, and that arm is extremely sore. I know that's typical, but my legs, back, and other arm are also very sore.

It's pretty severe. My thighs are so sore I can hardly hobble around, and my legs don't really want to support my weight. My mid-back area is extremely sore on both sides of my spine, and I know I didn't hurt it during the lifting. My arm is pretty much useless, and I can't seem to lift it above chest level without the pain getting a lot worse. It's almost like every muscle that I put any stress on for the lifting test just seized up on me, and is incredibly painful.

I need my limbs to work, the job I just got involves physical labor, and I'm supposed to start on monday! Is this just an uncommon but not really horrible reaction, or should I be calling my doctor???

Last edited by ToxicWonderland; 03-19-2008 at 01:18 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB Userrudiraven HB User
Re: Possible Tetanus Vaccine Reaction?

My arm was really sore for a few days after my tetanus shot, but that was about it. Maybe your other soreness is from the lifting, especially if you're not used to doing that everyday. Hope you feel better soon.

Closed Thread