It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
(male)

master44 HB User
flu shot - without thiomersal

I have had the flu shot regurally for as long as I can remember, however 2 years sgo my mother had an anaphalytic reaction to the flu shot. They did some extensive allergy testing and narrowed the culprit down to thiomersal. I have some bad food allergies to tree nuts and shell fish, never had an anaphalytic reaction, but don't like to chance it. My mother was 52 when she reacted to the vaccine dispite years of regular flu shots.

So now my question where can you go to get a flu shot without thiomersal. I have called 10+ pharmacies in the area who all do not carry a thiomersal vaccine, my primary care physician said they are reserved for high risk people to which he said I didn't fit since I never had a reaction and I called the local hospitals who basicaly told me they do not administer a thiomersal free vaccine. It seems all my local resources are catered to the masses and even if you want something without thiomersal/mercury, you are out of luck...

I came across the following website which shows the vaccines available this season and see many that are thiomersal free, but cannot find a provider. I even called GlaxoSmithKline to see where in Colorado I could get the thiomersal free vaccine and was told they didn't know. I did find on the FluMist website some local doctors, but really don't like the idea of having the medicine sprayed up my nose.

Has anyone had luck obtaining one of the thiomersal free flu shots and if so how were you able to get it or where would you look?

Here is the link for the 2008/2009 flu vaccines:
[url]http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/vaxsupply.htm#table[/url]

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
(female)

peony78 HB User
Re: flu shot - without thiomersal

You shouldn't get one then.............don't risk it, the chances it will work are so slim anyway.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Why don't you get a thiomeral allergy patch test? That way you'll know one way or another. The T-free vax might be easier to get with a diagnosis. It's important too, since thiomersal is in more than just multi-dose vax's.

It's in some makeup removers, eye shadows and mascaras, soap-free hand liquid and wipes, eye, ear and nose drops/ointments, antiseptic sprays, skin cream/ointment medications and firstaid products. Also the TB test, tetnus jabs, antitoxins like antivenom (although if I had just been bit by a cobra I guess I'd take my chances ) and immune globulin preparations.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I saw that our clinic offered the choice of having regular flu shots or the thermosiol free ones for a little bit more money during their flu shot blitz last week. I always get the regular one -- no adverse affects. With DS, whose 5 he's always been given the thermosiol free one. I think it's more common now days, so just have her call the clinic and ask.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

The thimersol version contains 25 mg of mercury, far exceeding the 1/10th of mg for daily limits. You can prvent the flu through vitamins and minerals, they are tools your body needs to fight off infection. Many may feel the mercury doesn't effect you, but the build up overtime along with all of the other chemicals are sure to weaken your immune system leave you vulnerable to disease, cancer or other illness or sickness down the road. Chemicals build up in the brain, organs, tissues and effect the nervous system.

Last edited by AlexaIn2006; 11-04-2008 at 12:10 PM.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
(female)

futureperkins HB User

Thirmerosal free vaccines are available for children I believe. It has been banned for children. As for adults, you have to find a doctor who carries it. You should have the choice. Those of you who get the flu shot (including children) for 5 or more years in a row are TEN TIMES more likely to suffer from alzheimers later in life

Old 12-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Years ago I had to quit using contact products with thimerisol as it burned my eyes really bad. But I've never had a problem with the flu shots....or other products with it.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Mercury does not belong in to body, PERIOD. Why do not question this? It just baffles me. The other contain "traces" of mercury therefore they don't have to tell you it has mercury. Build your immune system up naturally and you won't get sick in the first place and you won't need stupid vaccines and you won't waste your money.

Closed Thread