It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
(male)

markcotrupe HB User
Chickenpox

My child had chickenpox when he was a year old. We didn't take him to a Doctor since we knew he got it from his cousin, and his two siblings also got it at the same time. We are transferring to a different school district and they won't accept the parent's statement that the child had chickenpox and are requiring the vaccine. Is it safe to get the vaccination after already having Chickenpox?

Old 09-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
(female)

KD86 HB User
Re: Chickenpox

markcotrupe

I have heard that the chickenpox vaccine is not used on those who have already had it. The best bet is to talk to your child's doctor. I know doctor's ask about the child's medical history and they can document what you say.

KD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
(male)

markcotrupe HB User

Thanks for responding. I guess the Doctor can accept a mother's reporting on the disease, but not a nurse...
I did some research at the CDC website, and they consider it safe to receive the vaccination even if you've had Chickenpox.
But if anyone has had problems resulting from this, it would be good to post it here.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

Get the doctor to write a statement for you. You should not do a vaccine, in my opinion.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcotrupe View Post
Is it safe to get the vaccination after already having Chickenpox?
Can't imagine it to be unsafe, but it would be a useless waste if one has immunity from having already had the disease being vaccinated against.

(But when he grows up, be sure that you tell him that he has had chicken pox, so that he knows that he may get shingles later and can make his own informed decisions regarding shingles vaccine.)

Old 10-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User

You need to know that no school can legally make you give your child any shot. It is not required to attend school. I am sure there are plenty of children in your district who attend school who have never been vaccinated.

I am pro-vaccinating, but I don't like schools giving out false information.

Closed Thread