It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
(male)

sms86 HB User
Question MMR and Meningococcal Vaccine Bad Reaction

Hello -

Today I went to my county health department to receive 1 MMR shot (which is my 2nd, first was done in 1991) and a Meningococcal shot, which are both required for my current school. After approximately 2 minutes of receiving the shot I was waiting at the counter to pay - and all of the sudden I felt extremely dizzy and asked the clerk if it is normal for me to feel this way. She said no and instantly got a nurse to sit me down. I sat down and my arms and hands/joints became extremely tingly/numb and very stiff and some in my legs and feet - I could not even make a fist or move them normally. I also felt like I was going to vomit and was still dizzy. The nurses took me to the back so I laid down and they propped my legs up. The nurse had a hard time taking my blood pressure because of how stiff my arms were. After about a good 30 minutes, I finally regained strength in my hands and the very extreme tingling/numbness in my hands went away. The nurse had never seen someone tense up and have stiff hands, joints, and arms like that ever before - and she has been a nurse for 23 years. I had not eaten anything for ~6 hours or so, so I was definitely on an empty stomach which I think may have added to it?

I am posting this to see if anyone has had or has heard of a similar reaction to this - or maybe can give me some insight. I probably would of not posted this if the extreme stiffness did not occur in my fingers, joints, and arms. Perhaps I am just allergic to the Meningococcal Vaccine considering it did not happen on my first MMR.

A little more information about me: 23 year old male, never had any problems being allergic to any kind of medicine in the past, and I am pretty healthy.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
Re: MMR and Meningococcal Vaccine Bad Reaction

Sounds like a textbook case of a vasovagal response... put plainly, you got a shot and you had a fainting response (whether you actually laid yourself out or not). It happens without warning, and can happen to anyone (even if it happens only once).

Old 09-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User
Re: MMR and Meningococcal Vaccine Bad Reaction

Make sure they report your side effects. You can always opt for vaccine exemptions, no one can make you get vaccines for school.

Closed Thread