It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
(female)

KerryT HB UserKerryT HB User
Angry Shots knocked me back

Wednesday at a reg. checkup my dr told me I needed shots updated - flu, pneumonia, and tetanus. I said okay, but feared side effects from the flu shot. She said there are no live cultures in their shots, so I won't get sick. Well I did. Thursday morning I woke with bad chills and fever, and every muscle in my body screaming. My whole upper arm was hot and swollen and hurt very much. Friday was just as bad, and my fever didn't break til Friday night. This morning I finally felt human again, my poor arm (injection site) is still red and swollen.

I called the doctor Thursday a.m. and they said some people react that way. Had I known I would have gotten this sick, I would have opted out of the flu shot.

Is this happening to any one else?

Last edited by KerryT; 09-19-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
Re: Shots knocked me back

You want your immune system to react to the flu shot - it wouldn't work if it didn't.

Unfortunately some people have a stronger immune reaction to certain flu vaccines than others, the result is the flu-like symptoms you've been suffering from. I've gotten flu shots every year for the past ten years or so and I've had the "faux flu" twice. Not fun, including the punched-by-a-heavyweight shoulder bruise.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It could have been from the tetanus shot. That's the reaction I have from them. Never have one from the flu shots and I have a ton of allergies - drug and otherwise.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
(female)

daisyanna HB User

I know several people who got their flu shots, then went on to get the flu anyway.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
(female)

noodles3 HB User

Yes, this happened to me. I got the flu shot and was in bed the next day with chills, fever, body aches.

I declined to get it again after that experience. I don't know why my immune system reacted that way but perhaps it's not safe for me.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

I have had the seasonal flu shot every autumn for the last five years and never had any reaction. This year, I had the H1N1 shot one month later and suffered a painful injection, upset stomach for two days, hardness and heat at the injection site for three days.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGeek View Post
I have had the seasonal flu shot every autumn for the last five years and never had any reaction. This year, I had the H1N1 shot one month later and suffered a painful injection, upset stomach for two days, hardness and heat at the injection site for three days.
You're lucky never to have had a vax reaction before, I guess you were due then!

Old 12-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #8
(male)

NCGuy HB User

The soreness may have been from the tetanus shot and/or the pneumonia shot. I've had the flu shot every year for 12 years and never felt it. My tetanus shots never hurt either but some people do have a sore arm from them. When I got the pneumonia shot, my arm began to get warm and it was sore for a day afteward. The nurse was right, all three are inactivated vaccines, so they usually cause less reactions than a live vaccine. Sometimes having pain after getting vaccinated has to do with your arm muscle being tense when getting the shot and sometimes where the shot was given - it should be given in the center of the deltoid muscle.

Closed Thread