It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
(female)

erinb123 HB User
Should i get the flu shot?

Ive gotten the flu shot almost every year and ive never had any reactions to it that i know of. Im scheduled to get it in a week and ive been looking up stuff on it and now im terrified to get it! It seems everyone has only negative things to say about it. what should i do? I have asthma and allergies so i reeeeeallly dont want to catch anything. thanks.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Should i get the flu shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinb123 View Post
It seems everyone has only negative things to say about it.
Everyone? That wouldn't include the US CDC, WHO, Institute for Vaccine Safety, and many large medical practices.

The flu vaccine this year is basically the same as in recent previous years, except for the varieties of flu involved. One difference this is that there are two different flu vaccines. One is the seasonal flu vaccine, with three varieties that were predicted earlier this year for this winter (A/Brisbane/59/2007 (H1N1), A/Uruguay/716/2007 (H3N2), B/Brisbane/60/2008). The other is the vaccine specific to the 2009 novel H1N1 "swine" flu virus.

Currently, the seasonal flu vaccine is widely available in the US, while the vaccine for the 2009 novel H1N1 "swine" flu is just beginning to become available.

As far as the specific negative things that seem to be going around:

Thimerosal / mercury: you can get vaccines free of thimerosal if you are worried about it. CSL Limited and Sanofi Pasteur single dose prefilled syringes, and MedImmune nasal sprays have no thimerosal. Novartis single does prefilled syringes have trace amounts of thimerosal (<1mcg mercury per dose); multidose containers of injected vaccine do contain thimerosal (25mcg mercury per dose).

Squalene adjuvant: although it has been used safely in Europe for a while, it is not used in US flu vaccines.

Of course, those with allergies to eggs or other vaccine components should not get the vaccine. There are various other things to consider that are on the information sheet given by the US CDC on the vaccine.

Last edited by tjlhb; 10-13-2009 at 08:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
(female)

daisyanna HB User

When I learned that the vaccine makers recently got a new law passed making them totally immune to any accountability from their vaccines, I decided I would NOT be getting their vaccine. If their vaccine is so safe, why would they need to protect themselves behind a law allowing them to have NO ACCOUNTABILITY?

Not for me.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I have asthma and allergies and several antibiotic allergies. I've gotten a flu shot every year since I developed asthma in 1994. I've had no problems/side effects from the flu vacine...even though I do have a sensitivity to thimerosal (couldn't use any saline contact rinse with it in it).

Looking at it from my perspective, should I get an upper respiratory infection, I'll be hospitalized so my doctors can get together and decide what antibiotic they should try and then have them watching me 24/7 to see if I have any bad reactions to it. Not exactly what I want to be looking forward to. So, in my case, I get the shot...and I'll get one next week for the seasonal flu and then go back when they have the swine flu one as well. I just can't face the alternatives.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I've had no problems/side effects from the flu vacine...even though I do have a sensitivity to thimerosal (couldn't use any saline contact rinse with it in it).
If thimerosal is a concern, ask for the single dose prefilled needles from CSL Limited or Sanofi Pasteur or the nasal spray from Medimmune, which contain no thimerosal.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
(female)

mumpenguin HB User

I live in Australia and had my shot last monday and have no no side effects just a sore spot at the needle site. Don't know what the different ingredients are in each country. But i do know the side effects of the H1 flu are not pretty and the health authorities are not releasing that information. eg loss of limbs - but that happens to those who end up in hospital in intensive care. We found out from our psychologist when he got it but his daughter in law got really bad and was one of the few who came out of intensive care with all limbs intact.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

My clinic doesn't have them as they do not treat children - which those are for. Since I've never had any problem, I'll continue to get the regular version. (the thimerosal issue was with saline contact solution only)

Old 10-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
(male)

NCGuy HB User

I've had the flu vaccine every year for 14 years, including this year, and have never had any problems, not even a sore arm. I'll get the H1N1 when it comes out. Never had the flu either.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

kittyroo HB User

Isn't that so interesting how humans differs so greatly from one another? I'm 34 and I've never, ever had a flu shot. It's probably been 23 years since I've been sick. I'm a hairdresser, so I'm exposed to sick people all the time. Really, who gets their hair done while sick, you ask? It happens ALL THE TIME. Strange, I know.

Anyhoo, that's immediately what popped into my head when I read NCGuy's post. Neither here nor there, really.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
(female)

daisyanna HB User

In 1980 only 15% of seniors got flu shots. Now it's up to 85%.
Yet the incidence of senior deaths due to the flu has NOT gone down to compensate for the greater number getting the flu shot.

Basically, the flu shot has shown to give no added protection to seniors.

I will pass on flu shots. I am 68 and very healthy.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
(female)

erinb123 HB User

Thanks for all the replys. I ended up getting my shot and had no problems besides being sleepy and sore.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
(female)

daisyanna HB User

Some people WILL have very bad reactions to these flu shots.
How do you know it won't be YOU this time around?
I just don't think it's worth the risk.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
(female)

Luvmydogs6 HB User

I got my one and only flu shot 8 years ago, never had a flu until a month ago. I am sure I had the swine flu. It was very bad and I had a hard time breathing. Almost went to the hospital.
Yes, I would get the flu shot!

Last edited by Luvmydogs6; 10-23-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

mamaonamission HB User

Flu vaccins contain mercury, so really the question is, would you rather contract the flu, which you will definetly recover from, UNLESS you have a very serious underlying health condition, OR get something much much worse from the toxins injected into your body from the vaccination. And the fact is, there is not ONE specific flu bug to vaccinate against, the are hundreds, and did you know that the makers of these vaccines just "GUESS" which one will be most popular and use that strain in their vaccinations????? Which is actually humorous b/c who knows if you get vaccinated if you will come into contact with that specific strain or not. But the odds are NOT!!!

AND IF you have ever gotten a flu vaccine, you are much more likely to contrct the H1N1. Obviously your best bet is to eat healthy and stay away from these harmful vaccinations!!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaonamission View Post
Flu vaccins contain mercury,
(in the US) Not the single dose prefilled needles from CSL Limited or Sanofi Pasteur, or the nasal spray from MedImmune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaonamission View Post
would you rather contract the flu, which you will definetly recover from,
The pediatric death rate and the hospitalization rate for all age groups for the 2009 novel H1N1 flu is already running much higher than previous flu seasons at the same time of year. (Even regular flu has a risk of death or serious complications that is orders of magnitude higher than the risk of serious complications from the flu vaccine.)

Last edited by tjlhb; 10-23-2009 at 10:18 PM.

Closed Thread