It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
(female)

sh 08 HB User
Anyone that got BOTH flu shots, i have a question

I got my seasonal shot a month ago and the H1N1 yesterday....the side effects i got from the reg flu shot and this one were night and day BUT i was told it would be the other way around! With the 1st one (seas. flu) i was in agony after! my arm felt like it had been run over, i felt run down, shooting pains in my shoulder and wrist/hand and it lasted a few days...it wasn't like other ones i have had. So yesterday when i got my H1N1 the said the arm and other symptoms after are much worse than the seasonal shot....well i have slight tenderness and that is it!!!! not even close to the pain and other things as before! everyone i know said their H1N1 after effects were worse too! so here i was expecting agony and it was normal after for the most part. I have had the seasonal flu shot 7 years now and usually reacted the same way as H1N1 did to me this year...anyone know why? could she have just put it in a bad part of my muscle?

Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
(female)

rosana726 HB User
Re: Anyone that got BOTH flu shots, i have a question

I got both, slight soreness in arm from the seasonal, nothing from the h1n1. been 6 weeks since seasonal, 2 since h1n1,no other side effects for me.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-01-2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: please do not quote when you are the first to reply

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
(female)

sh 08 HB User

yeah i found this strange...my arm is still sore but nothing out of the ordinary my husband on the other hand is very sore and has muscle aches! he never gets things like that lol and if he does he never complains but this time he isn't handling it like he normally does! but its been 48 hours so i am expecting him to feel better soon....kids go in this morning we will see what happens

Old 11-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

TopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB UserTopGeek HB User

Maybe what we have in Europe is different anyway but I had the seasonal (Influvac) late October with no pain and zero reaction. I had a painful swine flu shot (Pandemrix) on Saturday and suffered a nauseous stomach Saturday night through to Monday. The area of the upper arm, for about 3cm radius around the injection site, was very hard and hot (but not red or swollen) until Monday and is still noticably warm today.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
(female)

trumpgirl HB User

I got the seasonal flu shot two months ago and had a little tenderness in the arm. Yesterday I got the h1n1 shot and within 5 minutes I got a terrible taste in my mouth, kind of like a strong medicine taste. Within another hour I got a really bad headache and the taste in my mouth turned to something like a combination of perfume and soap and I have had that taste ever since. The headache went away over night (with the help of Tylenol) but it came back around noon today. If I still have these symptoms tomorrow, I'll call my doctor. I have known several people who have ended up in the hospital in ICU from this shot. Since I have bronchial asthma, I was told to get this shot; now I'm wondering if I did the right thing.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayleysamantha View Post
. . . anyone know why? could she have just put it in a bad part of my muscle?
Yes.

How quickly/strongly your own immune system reacts also affects the vaccine "hangover". Not having any reaction may not be a good thing.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
(male)

JacquePoirier HB User

I'll add my experience here without any interpretation. I am on extended vacation in Malta and got both shots, one on each arm last week. The swine shot resulted in a bit more pain and soreness for a day or two. It wasn't extreme and I suspect that I caught H1N1 over the summer in Africa. That sucked as there were no good treatments available

Old 02-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

I had the seasonal injection and the novel H1N1 nasal spray. No problems with either one.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
(male)

JacquePoirier HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpgirl View Post
I have known several people who have ended up in the hospital in ICU from this shot. .

I find this hard to believe. Credible sources report a few dozen serious adverse reactions in the entire world. I'm not saying that vaccines don't come with some risk, but you always have to weigh that risk against those posed by the disease.

Closed Thread