It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
(female)

kspen18 HB User
Vaccine Friendly Doctor?

I'm currently looking for a vaccine friendly doctor in the Memphis, Tn area. I have tried searching and nothing ever comes up. Please help or recommend a site I can find one on. Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User
Re: Vaccine Friendly Doctor?

What do you mean by "vaccine friendly"?

The only issues with vaccines that I have found were that smaller practices might not stock some kinds of vaccines due to low demand, so a larger practice may have better availability, especially for more unusual ones for purposes like traveling, special risks, etc..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
(female)

alwaysonthago HB User

If you are meaning a Dr. friendly to non vaccination, you just have to try them out. Just be sure to come prepared. I don't know what kind of regulations TN has for vaccination. I live in KS which is a religious exemption only state. So I came prepared at my son's fist appt. w/ the proper paperwork for daycare and stood my ground. And the Dr had no obligations, as it is my LEGAL right to make that decision. As a parent, you can ALWAYS choose to vaccinate at a later date, but the current vaccination schedule is vigorous and could not be properly accepted by the body of a grown man.
Especially if you are a stay at home mom there is no reason on earth to vaccinate your children on the schedule that currently exists.
**for example, the only way of contracting hepatitus b is by sharing needles or a blood transfusion. Is there any chance of that happening to your child?!?! absolutely not! Yet your baby will probably recieve that vaccination in the hospital!!! Can you think of a possible reason why that is necessary?!?! And if your a stay at home mom, spread out you childs vaccines, they are NOT going to come into contact with any of the illnesses they vaccinate for!!! Come on that is common sense!

Old 02-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysonthago View Post
**for example, the only way of contracting hepatitus b is by sharing needles or a blood transfusion. Is there any chance of that happening to your child?!?! absolutely not! Yet your baby will probably recieve that vaccination in the hospital!!! Can you think of a possible reason why that is necessary?!?!
Hepatitis B can be transmitted from mother to child during birth. It is given to newborns in case of undiagnosed hepatitis B in the mother (though if the mother is known to be infected, additional treatment is given to the newborn). Since persons infected with hepatitis B as infants are more likely to be infected for life, it is important to avoid being infected as an infant.

Note that about 40% of hepatitis B cases involve people with no known risk factor or obvious cause. Considering that infants crawl around and could hurt themselves or put things in their mouth, it would also mean that infants are not completely risk free. Plus, if a blood transfusion is needed, better to be immune beforehand than worrying about the very small chance of an infected unit of donor blood.

In terms of other infectious diseases, these days it is even more important for people to get vaccinated, since the increasing number of people who are not vaccinated means an increasing number of disease vectors to give infectious diseases to you.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
(male)

NCGuy HB User

I doubt you will find a site giving information as to what doctor is "vaccine friendly" i.e. open to you wanting to space out, delay or refuse certain vaccinations. You would probably want to call different pediatricians offices and ask, or maybe get reccomendations from friends. Most will urge you to follow the CDC vaccination reccomendations but there are some that will work with you and abide by your wishes.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
Hepatitis B can be transmitted from mother to child during birth. It is given to newborns in case of undiagnosed hepatitis B in the mother (though if the mother is known to be infected, additional treatment is given to the newborn). Since persons infected with hepatitis B as infants are more likely to be infected for life, it is important to avoid being infected as an infant.

Note that about 40% of hepatitis B cases involve people with no known risk factor or obvious cause. Considering that infants crawl around and could hurt themselves or put things in their mouth, it would also mean that infants are not completely risk free. Plus, if a blood transfusion is needed, better to be immune beforehand than worrying about the very small chance of an infected unit of donor blood.

In terms of other infectious diseases, these days it is even more important for people to get vaccinated, since the increasing number of people who are not vaccinated means an increasing number of disease vectors to give infectious diseases to you.
I agree. Vaccinations are important. This is why I am considering getting the HPV vaccination and the Hepatitis A and B vaccinations. I want to be safe. I don't want to catch one of these diseases which could be deadly.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
(male)

NCGuy HB User

I think you're making a good decision to get vaccinated. Depending on your age and what you may already have had, there may be other vaccinations that would be worth considering. Most doctors carry the recomended vaccines but you can always go to your local health department which should have everything, even travel vaccines. Other than the Hepatitis A&B and HPV, it's recomended that you have two MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella) vaccinations, the Varicella/Chicken Pox vaccination if you haven't had the disease or the vaccine and an up to date Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis booster.

Closed Thread