It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
(male)

johnd304 HB Userjohnd304 HB User
MMR? How Often?

I'm 20, in college. Somehow I managed to get into my current school without giving my shot record. I had an MMR in 1996. I'm transferring to a bigger school so I will definitely need a shot record. I've been told you only need the vaccine once or twice, but then I read where they're required again around age 16. Could someone clear this up for me please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
(male)

NCGuy HB User
Re: MMR? How Often?

Typically the MMR vaccine is given twice - at age 12-15 months of age and a booster is given at age 4-6 years (prior to entry into elementary school). If someone has not had the MMR vaccinations, they can be given at any time later on in age. Some colleges require proof of two MMR vaccinations (along with other required vaccinations such as the Hepatitis B series, a meningitis vaccination and a recent Tetanus/Diptheria booster) so if you've only had one MMR, you would want to get the second asap. Most schools have their vaccination requirements in their entry package.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
(female)

tatsu15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd304 View Post
I'm 20, in college. Somehow I managed to get into my current school without giving my shot record. I had an MMR in 1996. I'm transferring to a bigger school so I will definitely need a shot record. I've been told you only need the vaccine once or twice, but then I read where they're required again around age 16. Could someone clear this up for me please?

You should get a titer done in case you still have antibodies and won't need another shot.

Only 5 percent need a booster (second shot of the MMR).

Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsu15 View Post
You should get a titer done in case you still have antibodies and won't need another shot.
But does the MMR antibody titer cost significantly less than the MMR vaccine?

Old 12-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
(female)

tatsu15 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
But does the MMR antibody titer cost significantly less than the MMR vaccine?

If health is one's priority, I would assume they wouldn't mind the cost and get a titer test done.

If finance is one's priority then it's their free will to get the MMR vaccine.

Last edited by tatsu15; 12-01-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Closed Thread