It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 75
jeffiner71 HB Userjeffiner71 HB User
Questions about titer check for 4 year old.

My son will be going to kindergarten in the fall and needs the typical barrage of shots. He has had one MMR at 15 months and has also had one dose of Varicella. These are the only two shots that my state will accept titers for so I am going to check for them. My question is, for those of you that checked, what were the results? He is at the tail end of a cold. I wanted to bring him for the blood test today but wondered if being sick would effect the results at all? It sounds silly but I just wondered if the results would be accurate because his body is already fighting off a virus.

I guess what I really want to know is, did your child need the shots or not? I read on the CDC site that 90 something percent of people don't need another MMR. Thanks for any input you can give me.

 
Old 03-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: midwest
Posts: 621
pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Questions about titer check for 4 year old.

I just got the second doses (cheaper)

It is true that 90% convert to positive after the 1st shot. The second shot should convert the other 10%. They can be given 30 days apart. What will you do if the titer is neg? Will you do the shot? If so then just give it, if they have already converted it isn't a problem.

Having a cold will not effect the titer results. Chemo & bone marrow transplant will.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Pup

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 75
jeffiner71 HB Userjeffiner71 HB User
Re: Questions about titer check for 4 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupcake View Post
I just got the second doses (cheaper)

It is true that 90% convert to positive after the 1st shot. The second shot should convert the other 10%. They can be given 30 days apart. What will you do if the titer is neg? Will you do the shot? If so then just give it, if they have already converted it isn't a problem.

Having a cold will not effect the titer results. Chemo & bone marrow transplant will.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Pup
If it comes back negative, I will have no choice but to give the shot. I could claim religious exemption in my state but they will question that because I have done all of them up until now. I don't want to give him anything that he doesn't need because all of the junk they put in the vaccines scare me. Price isn't an issue. I just hope that he doesn't need them. Thank you

 
Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 75
jeffiner71 HB Userjeffiner71 HB User
Re: Questions about titer check for 4 year old.

I wanted to update for anyone looking for information about this. He was checked for MMR and Varicella titers. He DOES NOT need another MMR. Yaay! He does need the Varicella. The MMR was the one that really concerned me. He had an MMR at 15 months and he is now 4 1/2 and still shows immunity.

 
Old 04-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: midwest
Posts: 621
pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Questions about titer check for 4 year old.

Awesome! I'm happy for you both.

Pup

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Received vaccination but not immune to hep B pleasehelp1234 Vaccination & Immunization 2 08-23-2010 02:50 PM
Major MMR Side Effect in 18 month Year Old - Warning xwam Vaccination & Immunization 2 05-19-2010 07:10 PM
Hep-B Effective Date lhughes8 Vaccination & Immunization 1 10-18-2009 02:03 PM
hepatitis b antibody titer rowena71 Vaccination & Immunization 1 05-16-2009 12:48 AM
getting the FLU VACCINE twice in one year Sue21 Vaccination & Immunization 4 11-18-2007 09:21 AM

Tags
mmr, titer, varicella



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!