It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vaccination & Immunization Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

Fred1967 HB User
Question Rotavirus vaccine! Need help

hi can anyone please tel me whom should stay away from. babies that have just gotten this vaccine. It's a live vaccine. I have celiac sprue, iga deficiency, asthma , diabetes& interstitial cystitis. I've been caring for an infant who is now 3 1/2 months old and due for Rotavirus vaccine- a live virus. Anyone know the risks for someone like me ?
Hugs terry

Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Rotavirus vaccine! Need help

It's not entirely clear whether babies who've had rotavirus vaccine are contagious afterwards. One study found that 12% of babies did shed it in their feces for a few days after the first dose of vaccine, so definitely wash your hands with hot water and soap after each diaper change. (Of course, you probably do that already.) Also, avoid mouth kissing for about a day.

Now, the thing is, most adults have already had rotavirus and are immune, whether they remember or not. This means that, unless your immune system is practically nonexistent (like with certain stages of cancer treatment) it's unlikely you would catch it.

Death from rotavirus is pretty rare in this country, but hospitalizations are not all that rare, so it's a good vaccine for your baby to get. And of course, if the baby actually catches rotavirus, you definitely would be exposed!

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
Fred1967 (08-23-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Fred1967 (08-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
(female)

Fred1967 HB User

Hi!
My IGA level is less than 5. Does this make any difference ?
Thank you!
Terry

Old 08-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I would ask your immunologist about the risk to you, then.

Closed Thread