It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2002, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

honeybee81 HB User
Question how do I take liquid flaxseed oil ???

I bought Barlean's flaxseed oil in a liquid form, and it says you should take 1 Tbsp. daily. I really want to take it but I can't bear to drink it straight and "chase it with fruit juice" like they suggested. The oily texture makes me want to vomit. I know that they make it in pills but have read that it isn't as good.
I have read that you shouldn't heat it or cook with it, and that it's good on salads. I have tried it on a salad, and that wasn't bad at all, but I don't eat salad every day. I need something to mix it with that's really easy and quick.
Oh yeah, I also tried it in a "smoothie" (I put it in a blender with ice cream, milk, honey, a banana and some peanut butter) and it was pretty good, but I don't have time to do that every day. I'm always in a hurry to make anything, and am a vegeterian. (Not a very good one - I eat cereal and PBJ as my main foods) The only meal I can prepare and sit down for is breakfast (cereal).
So, I guess my main question is what else can I put this stuff in? Is it really bad to put it on/in something hot if you don't actually cook it? Like, hot oatmeal or a bagel for example? What about mixing it with some peanut butter for a sandwich?
Any ideas would be appreciated! Also, for those of you that use it, does it work for you, do you like it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2002, 11:09 AM   #2
(male)

UH-60 HB User
You can add it to any food that is not hot. Whatever tastes good to you is fine. If it is still unbearable take the gel pills. They are better than taking nothing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2002, 07:30 PM   #3
(female)

honeybee81 HB User
thanks for answering. Anyone else have things they've tried?

Old 09-26-2002, 08:04 PM   #4

gem2000 HB User
Yes the texture is gross, more so than the taste. Just the thought makes me wretch BUT...it is so good for you that the benefits outweigh the yuck factor. Personally, I prefer to get it over with than have the taste linger in my food, so what i do is take a little juice and pour the oil in. Do not stir. Not a whole lot of juice either, you don't want to have to drink a whole glass of it. The oil doesn't mix with the juice, so when you swallow it you basically just taste and feel the juice going down. Much easier. SOmetimes I even use a little pure lemon juice. It is so sour I can't even taste the oil.

Old 09-27-2002, 02:32 AM   #5
(male)

Tangle HB User
Whenever a new food is introduced to the body, it is naturally defensive. Get personal w/ your supplements; they are your friends. Maybe the body doesn't know that, so simply voice the benifits (aloud or silent) before "letting" your taste begin liking it's med. I guess this sounds like pre-shool tactice for getting children to like their food or take their medicine, but none-the-less, their must be some psychological factor there.

Personnally i have used the flax oil directly from a spoon fallowed by something to drink w/ no problem. I also use free powderd herbs w/ liquids to insure swallowability (is that a word, lol). You could also consider trading oil for ground seeds; they go really well with cereal.

As for temp, i am under the impression that the oils cannot be damaged at food consumption temps.

You mentioned peanut butter; isn't pb loaded w/ the bad trans fatty acids? the pb would simply war against your good flax.

enough already

Old 10-12-2002, 11:34 AM   #6

j e n n i f e r HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by honeybee81:

honeybee81 - is there any reason you are unable to take flaxseed oil in supplement (i.e. capsule/pill) form?!?? i would just assume this to be a much more pleasant alternative to the actual oil http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif!!

i, personally, take omega-3 oil supplements instead. but i happen to know that flaxseed oil comes in supplement form as well. so you may want to try those!

Old 10-15-2002, 09:43 AM   #7

mandoral HB User
I really liked Tangle’s idea of getting friendly with your vitamins, “they're your friends.” Personally I take flaxseed oil in a gelcap form, it makes life easier. I would think that adding it to something that is already heated should not harm the effects much, if at all. But heating it may. Just like olive oil, if you heat it too much, it breaks it down and you lose the important qualities of the oil.

Old 10-15-2002, 05:20 PM   #8
rosarobin

Cool

If your flaxseed oil tastes bad, maybe it's spoiled; it does go bad eventually! That's why I keep mine in the freezer; and it's still pourable when I want some. I love the taste on health-bread; to me it's a butter substitute. However..... I can't stand the "high-lignan" type. To me, that tastes awful; it has particles in it and not clear & smooth like the plain type. Maybe you bough that kind and that's why you don't like it?

Old 10-21-2002, 10:37 PM   #9
Inactive

batman777 HB User
I've heard that taking it with cottage cheese is a good way for maximum absorption.

Old 10-22-2002, 12:18 AM   #10

prittie HB User
Forget liquid flaxseed oil-Buy yourself the natural flaxseed and it can be consumed by grinding it into flour and adding it to anything you bake or cook,Or
take whole flaxseed and add it to your favorite beverage-start with 1/4 cup mix and drink quickly as it will turn anything that is mixed with it into a solid rapidly. Try hot chocolate and whole flaxseed,drink it quickly and within a few hours you will notice the effects of flaxseed-I have seen it lower your blood sugar levels very fast. I have also seen it to lower blood "fats" just as quickly. Just stay near a toilet as it acts very quickly usually under 4 hours.

------------------

Old 01-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #11
Inactive

sleppy210 HB User
Re: how do I take liquid flaxseed oil ???

I cover my nose, put the head of the bottle to my lips, suck in what I think is a tbsp, swallow, then quickly eat some apple sauce! The apple sauce really masks any flavors, that's how I used ot take my crushed up pills, put a layer of aple sauce on a big spoon, put the crushed pill on top, then put another layer of aple sauce over it and swallow, you really can't taste a thing when you take stuff with apple sauce!

Old 01-14-2005, 02:27 PM   #12
(female)

SternFan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee81
Try the flaxseed meal it's pretty good on cereal, oatmeal, yogurt.........
Much easier to take then the oil

Last edited by SternFan; 01-14-2005 at 02:27 PM.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:31 AM   #13
(female)

healthy2b HB User

I just started taking cold pressed, organic, high lignan flax seed oil. My bottle says to take 1 tbsp. per 100 lbs. of body weight. ( not telling you how many tbsps. I take )

Seriously, just 2 but I pour out my 2 tbsps. daily into a container, all stored in fridge, and just add it throughout the day. My favorite is on a bagel with middle mostly scooped out, and drizzled on w/ 1/4 tsp. honey..to me it tastes like butter.

Not sure if it's the flax oil or just change in diet, or just both, but in 2 weeks I've lost 12 lbs. effortlessly (still not exercising yet) and drink about 80 oz. of water and my energy level is through the roof! I also add to smoothies and another favorite is yogurt. It actually tastes creamy to me and I don't notice change in texture in my food. At night, I use the rest in my salad or drizzle over veggies etc!

Hope that helps!

Old 01-16-2005, 03:36 PM   #14
(male)

apple HB User

With a few doses, you'll get past the negative thoughts about the oil. Believe me. I had that problem, too. Now I can drink it straight. Take a swig of tomato juice but don't swallow. Then spoon the oil into your mouth and swallow. It's no big deal.

Old 01-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #15
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I had no problem swallowing the oil (w/ a fruit juice chaser) - it should be nearly tasteless and very bland. If it's at all sour or bitter, it's rancid - throw it out!!

I switched to Nordic Naturals fish oil, which has an orangey flavor (and no fish flavor). It's a good source of omega-3's. I still use a fruit juice chaser (or almond milk).

Peanut butter shouldn't have trans-fats if it's organic!! ??? There are other nut butters you can buy in organic form, like cashew and almond butter. They're very tasty, and probably better for you than peanuts anyway (which aren't really nuts, remember).

Closed Thread