It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2002, 03:27 PM   #1

bull69 HB User
Post is eating canned fish everyday bad for you?

I've heard alot of people say you shouldnt eat fish everyday because it contains too much mercury and its bad for you, but im wondering, are they talking about the fish you buy from fish market's or canned fish as well?
because i eat canned fish tuna/salmon everyday for protein and other benefits. Also, what does excess mercury do and why is it bad for you?
thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2002, 05:06 PM   #2
Veteran

buck58 HB User
Bull, I eat a small can of tuna several times a week also. For the protein, and omega 3s. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the mercury as much as the extra fat in fish. JMO. see ya, buck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2002, 10:26 PM   #3

berto HB User
Tuna is one of the best high-quality protein foods you can eat. Listen to Buck - omega 3's also.
You can't do much better for a food source.

Old 10-22-2002, 01:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Magpiezoe HB User
Hello, The only info. that I found was from CNN and it only seemed to be a warning for pregnant women and women of child bearing age. They said that mercury is toxic to the undeveloped bain of a fetus and can cause learning disabilities once the baby is born. I'm probably Miss Mercury city. I used to eat tuna packed in spring water every day when I was trying to loose 5 pounds back in my twenties. I had really low cholesterol from eatting so much tuna. Now, I'm 40 and have to get back into eating tuna to keep my cholesterol low. Thanks for reminding me how good tuna salad is...expecially on crackers...topped off with a little olive slice. Man, now I'm hungry!

------------------
Magpie

Old 10-22-2002, 07:37 PM   #5

*Cat* HB User
Hi

I'm not normally on this board.....

I think it isn't healthy to eat canned fish everyday, not only because of the mercury that they discuss(which I do agree with the above poster relates to pregnant women, mainly).....but because you may need more variety in your diet.

I think you'll be fine, but maybe add a little more variety

Goodluck(and I don't mean this as negative!!)

Hugs

Cat

Old 11-09-2002, 11:03 PM   #6
Inactive

Mila21ca HB User
Hi there!
I used to eat tuna almost everyday...love the protein, but I started feeling sick. It was shortly after that that I saw a program on TV talking about mercury in tuna. It mentioned to try switching to "albacore" tuna...most name brands carry this kind. It will specify that it is in fact albacore right on the front of the package.
I no longer feel sick from eating tuna on a regular basis. Supposedly there is no mercury, or at least a very minimal amount, in albacore tuna. Also, don't worry about the taste because it tastes the same.
Hope this helps...it helped me.

Old 11-11-2002, 12:54 AM   #7

crcaz HB User
According to dr weil canned alaskan salmon is better for you than the fresh salmon(non-canned) sold in your stores, frsh salmon are mostly grown in farms in the u.s. using unhealthy food sources to feed salmon. Also, stating that their are more toxins in farmed salmon.

Old 11-15-2002, 03:44 AM   #8

Esoteric HB User
I've read several articles and health books that warn against eating too much fish from the ocean. Once a week was recommended by one, and the reason was because of the mercury and other toxins found in the ocean.
Try to locate fish that is grown on fish farms. They don't have the exposure to the toxins.
Mercury poisoning can cause chronic fatigue and contribute to many chronic illnesses.
Eating any food every day can cause a food allergy to develop. The rotation diet is recommended by many Doctors. You eat a food, and then don't eat it again for four days. This helps to prevent food allergies and illness caused by food allergies that you didn't know you had.

Old 11-15-2002, 09:47 PM   #9

crcaz HB User
Can you name one of the books or articles so i can look that up for my own health benefit knowing that alot of what people are eating comes from the ocean like tuna, coral calcium, etc. Thanx

[This message has been edited by crcaz (edited 11-15-2002).]

Old 11-19-2002, 09:56 PM   #10

Esoteric HB User
I read about 150 books a year, and I'm sorry I can't remember which ones say that. I have read a couple of Dr Weils books. Dr Atkins also has some health books, one on diet, and one on vitamins and supplements. Maybe it was from the books on vitamins and supplements. I've seen the books in many health food stores. If you do a search at the library under the authors name, you should be able to find it.

Closed Thread