It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #1

kraztop HB User
Cool vit. for 12 year old?

Could I start giving my 12 year old boy an adult vitamin supplement? Would a woman's formula with 27mg of iron be way too much for him?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2003, 08:15 AM   #2

Jen23 HB User
Hi there, first of all, never ever give an iron supplement to a boy or man. Men do not have the capacity that women do to eliminate excess iron. Women who still have their periods, eliminate iron every month through the menstrual flow. Excess iron can cause severe problems. Even as a woman, if you have not been diagnosed as being anemic, you shouldn't take extra iron...27 mg is too much. For your 12 year old son, you can give him half the dosage of an adult multi or you can find specific multivitamins targeted for teens. Also, make sure that the multi has good amounts of zinc which is crucial for growing boys.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2003, 10:41 AM   #3
Inactive

N2golf HB User
You can give him an adult vitamin because at 12, they are out of the "flintstone vitamin" stage, but watch the ingrediants. Boys don't need that iron like you are giving him. Ask a pharmasist and they will tell you what is best for him.

Closed Thread