It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2003, 05:54 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Question Mom of 3 needs Multivitamin that does not constipate!

I was hoping someone could recommend a multivitamin that will not add to my already awful contipation problem. Perhaps it's the iron in some of these formulations? I know I need to take a vitamin as well as a calcium supplement. Does everyone really "feel" better since they take their vitamins? I would if I could find one that would not add to my "problem". Any input?

Old 03-17-2003, 11:49 AM   #2

pl9071w HB User
HI
I GIVE MY SON A CALCIUM W/MAGNISEUM AT NIGHT BEFORE HE GOES TO SLEEP. MAGNISUEM IS SUPPOSED TO HELP INCREASE B/M.
GOOD LUCK
LORI

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2003, 08:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Thanks for the reply. How old is your son, and what strength is this calcium? Was this prescribed by a pediatrician? My almost 3 year old never goes either, even though he eats apricots or prunes every morning. Thanks for the info. Any other vitamin ideas for his mommy?

Old 03-18-2003, 09:36 AM   #4

WandaWoman HB User
Dee, I started to take GNC Muliti Vitimans for WOMAN. God it has been heaven scent. I have had problems moving my bowels my entire life and usually if I take a multi the iron it would bind me even more. so far I have been going daily, which for me has never been. I was lucky if I'd go once a week. since I have been on these vitimans, my hair is shinier, I am going to the bathroom daily and I feel great. go to GNC website and ck it out.

Good luck.

------------------
Wanda

Old 03-18-2003, 09:51 AM   #5
(female)

Cowspots HB User
I take one that I get from my health food store. It's called Theravits 100. It has all the necessary minerals as well. I've never been constipated since starting this. It was highly recommended to me.

Good luck
Cowspots

Old 03-19-2003, 05:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Thank you for these great alternatives...I will check them out today. Appreciate your feedback, D-

Old 03-19-2003, 07:58 AM   #7
Inactive

isolated one HB User
This is the first time I've ever heard of constipation being caused by vitamin supplements. Is it possible something else could be the cause? I don't know if you're on any anti anxiety/depression meds but constipation is a common side effect of these. BTW, calcium supplements are another cause of constipation in many people.

Old 03-29-2003, 10:00 PM   #8

pinecone HB User
You should try two tablespoons of psyllium husk mixed with one cup of water one hour before lunch and supper.
Alacer Desi-cates in the morning with BKF should help you. YOU are putrified and any vitamin will not help till you use the psyllium to open up your digestive
tract. It will take two weeks + before you will notice the help from the Desi-Cates.

Please post back if you receive help from my suggestions.

Old 03-30-2003, 09:56 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Question

Thanks pinecone. Will have to research the Alacer Desi Cates.....never heard of it. Also which psyllium husk do you mean? A Metamucil or Citrucel type of formulation? Does it taste nasty?? Thanks, D-

Old 04-05-2003, 05:39 PM   #10
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Vitmains do not cause constipation so you need to look for the cause of you constipation and take care of that. In the meantime you need to start with metamucil 1-2 times daily. Also remember that constipation refers to hard dry stools and not the number of stools a person has per day/week. If your stools are not hard and dry then that is not constipation but irregularity. For hard dry stools add colace aka docusate until your stools are soft. As for feeling better from your vitamins. If the vitamin you take does NOT make you feel better and keep you from getting ill with colds and flu then your vitamin isn't doing it's job. The vitamins I use come with a 100% money back guarantee and also have a 90 day challange.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
Stools are definitely hard and dry and difficult to pass. I thought that Metamucils and Citrucels would just increase the bulk and make them harded to pass. I am super guilty of not drinking enough and try daily to increase my fluid intake. As for the vitamins, do you guys really think taking them keeps you from getting ill or a cold? I'm sure the Vitamin C in there is the one doing that. As of yet I've still not been loyal to regularly taking one. I'm really waiting for someone to tell me, they are so much better off because they do take a supplement.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:49 AM   #12
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Yes a good multivitamin as well as an antioxidant supplement will keep you from getting sick. I used to get sinus infections/severe sinusitis 3-4 or more times per year needing antibiotics to clear it up but haven't had one for over 3 years now. That should tell you something about a good multivitamin/anitoxidant supplement. I have not had any colds or illness at all this winter and trust me they have been going around as I work in a nursing home so I am exposed to lots of colds and flu. When you use a good multivitamin/antioxidant supplement you will know it is working when you notice how good you feel. If your supplement doesn't make you feel better then it is not doing the job it is supposed to. Hence the money back guarantee and the 90 day challange on the vitamins I take. As for metamucil that will definately help your constipation and for the hard dry stools you need to take colace aka docusate for a while until you get them soft and under control with the metamucil. Also consider adding prunes or prune juice to your daily routine as this has a natural effect on your bowels. You also need to work on finding out the cause of you constipation and correcting that be it poor fluid or fiber intake, lack of exercise or side effects of some medications etc. While working on your constipation if you have not had a decent BM by the third day you may want to use a glycerin suppository until you get this under control. Good Luck.

Old 04-07-2003, 11:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
mlgable:

Thank you for your helpful info. I have used stool sofners with not much success in the past, but perhaps I need to start them up again. What must-have vitamin supplements are you speaking of? Thanks, D-

Old 04-08-2003, 10:31 PM   #14
Inactive

mlgable HB User
As for the stool softeners not helping much you may need to increase it to 2 capsules twice a day and see if that does the trick for you.

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 04-09-2003).]

Old 04-22-2003, 12:16 PM   #15
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Hmm, usually there is alot of good info to be had on these posts, but some of the info you have been given above is just not correct.

Truth is, constipation is not an uncommon problem with the iron in multi-vitamin supplements. If you wish to continue taking a multi, the better brands such as Twin Lab make a formula without iron.

If changing this does not help the problem, there could be various other reasons for the constipation, including antibiotics taken any time in the past, which has the effect of wiping out the beneficial bacteria that your colon needs to be healthy. In this case, a good probiotic such as Primal Defense (available in any Vitamin Shoppe or on the net) should help restore your bowel to working condition.

Closed Thread