It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2003, 09:36 PM   #1

chawk HB User
Question Vitamins cause cold?

I have noticed, as well as friends of mine, that we catch a cold or flu when we start a vitamin routine. Is there anything to this theory? Is there anything that can be done to help?

Old 05-21-2003, 07:17 AM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
No, colds and flu are caused by a virus which is spread via contact to the virus. Vitamins should actually strengthen your immune system making it les likely you will catch a cold. It sounds to me like you aren't taking your supplements all the time and thereby not keeping your immune system healthy. This makes you more susceptible to catching whatever bug is going around. Start taking a good multivitamin every day as well as a good antioxidant supplement and you will find yourself healthier and catching less of the bugs that are going around.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2003, 04:11 PM   #3
Inactive

sarez72 HB User
Have you made any other significant changes in your daily routine apart form the vitamins? I.e. Are you excercising at a high intensity?

My first theory is that your body might be undergoing a bit of a detox process. When you make significant changes in what you're feeding your body, and how you're excercising etc, your body may go into a state of detox which will make you feel worse, rather than better - a prime indicator of this is cold/flu like symptoms. My suggestion is to persevere(!) - it can actually be a good thing, as once your body has gone through this process, it's able to make a fresh start as it has had time to clean out your internal bits, will be ready to accept the goodness your are offering it.

Of course, if your symptoms go beyond that of a regular cold, you should go to your doc to get it checked out as you don't want to be passing it off as detox if it's something more serious.

Hope the above makes some sense!

------------------
Don't believe everything you know

Closed Thread