It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2003, 06:39 AM   #1

mskassie HB User
Post 5 - HTP vs Zoloft?

My son has anxiety and mood swings. His doctor prescribed zoloft which is working...when he forgets his medicine you definetely know it.

Does anyone know if 5-HTP could be used to replace the zoloft? zoloft is very expense we do not have a prescription plan.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
I read a newsclip somewhere a while back that said in one test 5-HTP was as effective as Zoloft for depression. Of course, it's not the cheapest, as supplements go . . . but I think a lot less than Zoloft. Something else that helps with anxiety is L-Tyrosine (less expensive than 5-HTP). They can be taking together though.

Have you tried changing eating habits at all? Some people find that eliminating wheat helps their mood considerably. It's not easy because it is in so many products, but might be worth the effort. Also, have some protein at every meal, at LEAST 15 grams (based on 3 meals a day).

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 11:20 AM   #3

mskassie HB User
Thanks for your reply!
.>>>[QUOTE]Originally posted by auntjudyg:
[but I think a lot less than Zoloft.<<<<<

It is a lot less then zoloft. Paid 91 dollars for 30 25mg tablets. This is a 15 day supply! That's crazy!!
I purchased L-5-HTP runs $28 for 60 100 mg caps. This brand contains Vit C250mg and Vit B-6 25mg.
Not sure what dosage would replace 50 mg of zoloft,, need doctor that believes in natural approach. I'll check at the Health Food store for one in the area.

>>>>Something else that helps with anxiety is L-Tyrosine (less expensive than 5-HTP). They can be taking together though.<<<

>>>>>Have you tried changing eating habits at all? <<<

My son is very picky, and has very poor eating habits. He stricktly eats meat and potatoes that's it. So this I'm sure is a big factor in this condition. I'll look up the L-Tyrosine supplement you recommended.

Again thanks for your suggestion.
mskassie

Old 08-16-2003, 10:44 AM   #4

smiles of sorrow HB User
My son is autistic, he is high functional. His anxiety and depression gets realy worst, when he takes pressure for little things. I usually give him magnesium to calm his anxiety with calcium. Than try to give him cod liver oil. B6 vitamins are excellent too.
I have also tried 5HTP, start with the least dose and see whats good for your son.
good luck.

Old 09-18-2003, 03:52 PM   #5

Jennyx HB User
Smile

Hi, I am curious how your experiences turned out replacing Zoloft with 5-htp. I tried Zoloft one time & I was so sleepy I couldnt get off the couch--I never took it again! So I have tried 5-htp & after about 1.5 months, I think it has REALLY helped. I am curious how many others out there it would help. If any of you have had results since your postings, I would love to hear!

Old 09-19-2003, 01:11 PM   #6

mskassie HB User
Thanks for your reply. I am using the 5 HTP myself.

Do not know how much to give of 5 HTP to replace Zoloft and afraid to mess with my son's med's. We had an incident last month. Drug interaction or shall I say one Drug cancelled the other out. (All meds prescribed by same doctor, grrr) As a result he got into some serious trouble because of self control issues. He trying to get thru his last year of High School. After this incident the dr doubled his dosage??? I cut it back by 25mg's because he was doing fine until they mixed the prescriptions with one another.

Quote:
Originally posted by smiles of sorrow:
My son is autistic, he is high functional. His anxiety and depression gets realy worst, when he takes pressure for little things. I usually give him magnesium to calm his anxiety with calcium. Than try to give him cod liver oil. B6 vitamins are excellent too.
I have also tried 5HTP, start with the least dose and see whats good for your son.
good luck.

Closed Thread