It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2003, 08:54 PM   #1

AusiJulie HB User
CoQ 10 question?

Will CoQ10 lower high blood pressure and cholesterol (240)? Recently my blood pressure has been averaging 140/90 and my dr. put me on medication,Toprol XL. I'm not very happy about meds being the first choice for treatment. I plan to loose 10 lbs., walk, and get off the pills. I was wondering if CoQ10 would help me lower my BP naturally, or if would interfere with the Toprol XL. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:15 AM   #2
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Re: CoQ 10 question?

COQ10 helps to improve blood circulation, cell energy and metabolism.It does help high blood pressure. Magnesium also helps to lower blood pressure. If you take COQ10 besure to take it with oil, for instance I eat some peanutbutter after taking it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2003, 07:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Ladywolfe HB User

hiya girly!!

why do you take this with some type of oil?

Old 12-05-2003, 07:14 AM   #4
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Hiya Wolfie

COQ10 taken orally is absorbed thru the lymphatic canals and then distributed thru the body. It should be taken with fat because it is greatly enhanced in the presence of dietary fat.

Also, the best type of COQ10 has a deep yellow color.

Old 12-05-2003, 07:46 AM   #5

MichaelNYC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusiJulie
Will CoQ10 lower high blood pressure and cholesterol (240)? Recently my blood pressure has been averaging 140/90 and my dr. put me on medication,Toprol XL. I'm not very happy about meds being the first choice for treatment. I plan to loose 10 lbs., walk, and get off the pills. I was wondering if CoQ10 would help me lower my BP naturally, or if would interfere with the Toprol XL. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
What helps BP is foods that contain high levels of potasium (bananas, some yogurts, orange juice) and magnesium (wheat germ is the highest). Do a search on foods high in potasium and magnesium. I've taken CQ10 for 3 years and it has not made a difference in my cholesterol which has never been below 240. I'm now taking policosanol, aged garlic & grapefruit pectin to see if this will help and have greatly reduced foods containing saturated fats. I would also not be pleased about taking medication. I plan to continue with natural remedies.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:18 AM   #6
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusiJulie
I would agree with Michael. I would also suggest checking out the High Cholesterol board. There is a lot of good information there about lowering cholesterol naturally. I have been able to reduce mine by using flush niacin and a low carb diet. As regards CoQ10, interactions, or reduced effect, can occur between coQ10 and certain prescription drugs, such as those used to lower cholesterol or blood sugar levels. I don't know about the drug you are taking but you might do some research or ask your doc. One more point, the 240 number for your cholesterol may not be astronomically high. It really depends on how the numbers break down between Hdl/Ldl/Triglycerides.

Peregrine

Old 12-05-2003, 11:02 AM   #7
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

Taking statins can cause COQ10 to become depleted in the body so it is actually recommended to take cOQ10 along with statins. This is why many people taking statins have muscle pain. Magnesium is great for lowering blood pressure but I haven't heard anything to support that it does anything for cholesterol.

Old 12-08-2003, 02:19 PM   #8
jaybone80

Many trial studies have reported that supplementation with CoQ10 leads to a significant decrease in blood pressure in people with hypertension. Much of this research has used 100 mg of CoQ10 per day for at least 10 weeks. Some other things that are helpful in lowering blood pressure:
omega 3 fish oil, garlic, hawthorne berry extract (these are also good for high cholesterol) My aunt's been using the Co Q10 and has lowered her blood pressure significantly (she's been using it for 4 months now). And her cholesterol has dropped by 80 points from the fish oil, garlic, hawthorne berries. Hope this helps

Old 12-08-2003, 02:21 PM   #9
jaybone80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybone80
Many trial studies have reported that supplementation with CoQ10 leads to a significant decrease in blood pressure in people with hypertension. Much of this research has used 100 mg of CoQ10 per day for at least 10 weeks. Some other things that are helpful in lowering blood pressure:
omega 3 fish oil, garlic, hawthorne berry extract (these are also good for high cholesterol) My aunt's been using the Co Q10 and has lowered her blood pressure significantly (she's been using it for 4 months now). And her cholesterol has dropped by 80 points from the fish oil, garlic, hawthorne berries. Hope this helps
forgot to mention her bp was like 148/95 and it's been kept stable at around 125/82

Closed Thread