It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 05:25 AM   #1

Jestine HB User
Question The run down.........are these vit.'s ok

Hi,
I'm going to list the vitamins I have started taking a couple weeks ago. I've taken them all before, and have just started again. Please let me know what you think of these.....in general, benefits, or bad affects they may have, or taking them in the combination I am:

1) Multi vitamin/Mineral suppliment - tablet daily
2) Iron 27 mg- 1 tablet daily
3) Vitamin C-500 mg w/ rose hips - 1 tablet daily
4) Vitamin E 200 iu - 2 softgels daily
5) Melatonin 300 mcg - the bottle says take 2 tablets up to 3 times per day...I take 2 in the am, and 1 at night
6) Perfect antioxidant - 2 caplet in the am
7) Echinacea 400 mg - 1 capsule daily
8) Oscal 500 +D - 1 tablet daily

What I plan to do its continue to take these, and in about 1-1&1/2 months evaluate how I'm feeling. IYO.....is this to much, maybe to little, or ok.

Also, I've been told I should take B-12. I haven't started taking this. Would taking B-12 be beneficial? And if so, how much?

Thanks,
Jestine

Last edited by Jestine; 12-08-2003 at 05:27 AM.

Old 12-08-2003, 08:40 AM   #2
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Re: The run down.........are these vit.'s ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestine
Hi,
I'm going to list the vitamins I have started taking a couple weeks ago. I've taken them all before, and have just started again. Please let me know what you think of these.....in general, benefits, or bad affects they may have, or taking them in the combination I am:

2) Iron 27 mg- 1 tablet daily
3) Vitamin C-500 mg w/ rose hips - 1 tablet daily
4) Vitamin E 200 iu - 2 softgels daily
5) Melatonin 300 mcg - the bottle says take 2 tablets up to 3 times per day...I take 2 in the am, and 1 at night
6) Perfect antioxidant - 2 caplet in the am
7) Echinacea 400 mg - 1 capsule daily
8) Oscal 500 +D - 1 tablet daily

What I plan to do its continue to take these, and in about 1-1&1/2 months evaluate how I'm feeling. IYO.....is this to much, maybe to little, or ok.

Also, I've been told I should take B-12. I haven't started taking this. Would taking B-12 be beneficial? And if so, how much?

Thanks,
Jestine
Jestine,

Why are you taking extra iron? Are you still menstruating? Even if you are (still menstruating) you may not need extra iron, which can cause problems if there is an excess in the body. I would have a hematocrit test, if you haven't already.

You say you are taking a multi vit./mineral supplement but are also taking extra C and E. What are the amounts you are getting in your multi? You may not need the extra supplements. Then I would ask, what exactly are you taking the melatonin and Echinacea to treat? Both of these products are not right for everyone. I, for instance, have an auto-immune disorder for which both of these products have negative effects. It is really difficult to speak to your question without knowing your age and what problems you may be having that necessitate these particular supplements, but I think, in general, most people tend to over "vitamize" themselves.

Peregrine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 09:29 AM   #3

Jestine HB User

The reason I'm taking extra iron is that I am always tired and feel completly worn out no energy & just run down, have dark circles under my eyes, am always cold etc. A few people told me it seems like I may have low iron.

What is a hematocrit test? I've never heard of that.

The amounts of C & E in my multi are C 120mg, E 50i.u. I have always had an odd sleep schedule, and for the life of me have never been able to straighten it out. The schedule I have is basically no schedule, and am endlessly trying to fix that, so this is also one of the reasons I started taking the melatonin. I've also been diagnosed with depression, and take the mela. in hopes that it will help a bit on this end. I was on med's for depression but ran out a couple weeks ago and have no money. So cannot go to Dr., get refill, no ins., etc. Also there is a history of cancer in my family, and I hear that melatonin can help. The Echinacea I was told is good to take for a variety of things from a-z basically, so there is no 'particular' reson I'm taking, just for over all.

This is the thing, I have been feeling crappy for quite a while now. Like I said I have depression & have been getting treatment for it. I've posted a few things on the health boards before, and in response a few people have told me that it sounds like I have a thyroid problem, a couple people said it sounds like I have diabetes....and I have thought that maybe everything is just a result of depression or side affects from the med's I was taking (even tho they made me feel better), maybe due to stress or whatever, or just all in my head. The cancer history in my family kind of scares. In family...I lost my mom to lung & brain cancer; there's also skin cancer, prostate cancer, abnormalities on ovaries, uncle passed away from cancer years ago where I don't know of what kind, etc.

I know that something is wrong though, and I guess you can say that's it's been worrying me for a while now. I'm hoping that it may just be in my head, or stress or whatever, but don't know. I could probably scrounge up enough money in a couple months to go to the dr. and get tests done, but then again if there is something wrong where i'll need meds or treatment, there'd be no way of me paying for it, so right now going to the Dr. isn't much of an option. I've looked into aid for medical, but don't qualify.....

........So, what I'm basically trying to do is live healthier and take better care of myself until I'm able to see a doc. Have started doing some light exercise, since it's supposed to do wonders for you, keeping a better eye on my diet, a couple other things, and am trying to find a good balance of vitamins that will help as well.

I don't know very much about vitamins tho, I guess you can say I know the same basics that most people know, but that's not much. Do you think I should cut some of the vit's out that I'm taking? Or maybe take another in it's place? Sounds like you know more about them than me, so any kind of insight or suggestions you may have I'd really appreciate.

Thanks,
Jestine

Old 12-08-2003, 09:59 AM   #4
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Hello again Jestine,

It is great that you are trying to deal with your symptoms naturally, but I really think you need more diagnostic information in order to 1) not waste money on vitamins you don't need and 2) to be able to zero in and treat what you actually do need.

From what you describe, it does sound to me like you may have a Hypothyroid problem and/or Hashimoto's. If so, this necessitates either Thyroid meds or natural Thyroid supplements, but you definitely need the diagnosis first. If this is the problem then treating it will probably clear up most of the symptoms you now have.

As for the iron, again, you need to first find out if you have low iron. This is what a Hematocrit test will tell you (with a simple pin *****ing on your finger). I know it may be difficult, with our present medical system, to afford getting the tests you need, but I would try to make this the priority rather than investing in vitamins before you really know what you actually need.

Take care and please post again as to how you are doing.

Peregrine

Last edited by peregrine; 12-08-2003 at 10:00 AM.

Old 12-08-2003, 12:36 PM   #5

Markie Mark HB User
Talking Re: The run down.........are these vit.'s ok

I would try a B-Complex if you are low on energy.
I would take Melitonin only at bed time, Melitonin is to help you sleep.
I would find a better Calcium supliment, Oscal is not readily absorbed.
I would take Vitamin C 2-4 times in the day, it only stays in your blood for a couple of hours. A total of 3,000 to 4,000mg will not hurt the average person.
The other thing about taking Vitamins is drink plenty of water.

The list of supliments I take is longer than your list. I started with the basics and have added and adjusted over time. It can be better not to change to many things at once its hard to tell which is helping.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Quote:
Hi,

5) Melatonin 300 mcg - the bottle says take 2 tablets up to 3 times per day...
Can't help with your questions cuz I'm newly learning about vits myself.

I can say that I used to take Melatonin (but just 1 mg) just to regulate my sleep patterns a bit and I recently bought some to start again.. but didn't. Mine's by Natrol (3mg) and when I read the label there is 10 mg of B-6 to it. Also there is 63 mg calcium in there. I read it when I bought it but did not consider the totals of B-6 combined in the Meltonin + the Multi-Vitamin + a B-complex as well.
Why did they stick that in with the melatonin???
Just mentioned it so you can look at your ingrediant panel and see what's in it and if there is anything add that amount to the amounts of the same thing in your multi to figure out what total amount you're really taking of each vitamin.

Did you say you take Melatonin 3 times a day? WHY? It should be taken at bedtime and make you relax and fall asleep easier.

Last edited by snowmelts; 12-13-2003 at 01:14 PM.

Old 12-14-2003, 08:01 PM   #7

Jestine HB User

Thanks everyone for responding

peregrine, I'm going to look into getting the tests soon hopufully, as soon as I'll be able to afford it. So hopefully that will clear it all up, and single a lot of things out.

Markie Mark, Right now, the only other type of calcium I have is made by 'VitaSmart'. It's oyster shell Calcium 250mg. Is this any better, & I would guess I should take 2 of them to = the 500 mg?
The melatonin I started taking at night, and I also started taking the vitamin C with rose hips 500mg, 2 tabs 3 times a day. Vitamin B 50 (B-complex vitamins) I just started also, 1 tab. 1ce a day.
The melatonin hasn't really made me sleepy. I have still been trying to get on a better sleeping habit, and it seems to be easier for me to do this now. IYO is this what the mel. is supposed to be doing (even tho it hasn't given me an extra feeling of sleepiness), or should I be taking more? I'm still taking 2 in am & 1 in pm right now.

snowmelts, The melatonin I've been taking is made by Sundown. I just read the ingredients & it doesn't say anything extra about it having B or Calcium in it.
In the "Other Ingredients" lists it says: Dextrose, croscarmellose sodium, microcrystalline cellulose & magnesium stearate.....but that all it says besidesMelatonin 300MCG. I got the cheapest ones I could find that gave the doses I heard were best....so maybe it's just because I got the cheap ones? Thanks for letting me know, now I'll know what to look for next time.
I've been taking it twice a day, 2 in the am & 1 in the pm. I believe it may be helping with relaxing me a bit, but doesnt give me any more of a tired feeling than usual, so maybe I will try just taking 3 tabs at bed time & see what happens.

Well I guess that's about it for now. I do believe I've been feeling a bit better now, so hopefully they're working, and maybe after some more time I will feel bigger effects?

Take Care,
...Jestine

Old 12-14-2003, 08:06 PM   #8

Jestine HB User

Oh yes, I almost forgot. Tomorrow I have a Dr. appointment to join a new study for depression. They take a slew of tests before hand, to be sure that each person is suitable to join the study. Maybe some of the tests they run on me will clear some things up as well? Hopefully so. But also a down fall of it all, is that I may have to stop taking the vit's for the duration of the study. Will see.

....Jestine

Old 12-15-2003, 04:18 AM   #9
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

DEPRESSION is a Huuuuuge symptom of hypothyroidism. Every symptom you listed is. Are the vitamins and minerals you are taking from natural sources or are they synthetics? If they are synthetics then I would say you are wasting your money. Vitamins need to be derived from food sources to be complete and to work as they do in nature. Synthetics are merely drugs that is why some can be toxic in the body, You never hear about eating too much vitamin A and having serious side effects. I would add selenium to your list, it helps T4 convert into T3. (those are thyroid hormones, plus it is a wonderful antioxident that works well with vitamin e).

The tests you should request from your doctor are Thyroid antibodies test, Free T3 and Free T4 (not Total T3 and Total T4) Insist on these tests as they will give you a good indication of what actually is happening with your thyroid, and TSH.

BTW, studies usually test new drugs, that is very scarey...new drugs...drugs that have not yet been approved. You will be a human ginuea pig. I would question any study that told me not to take vitamins. Herbs are another matter, I would be very careful what herbs you take along with meds because of drug reactions, but you need your vitamins as MANY meds deplete vitamins from your body causing additional problems.

If your depression did not go away with meds then it was because you have a thyroid disorder.

Good Luck. Let us know what happens!

Old 12-15-2003, 04:21 AM   #10
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Thanks everyone for responding

peregrine, I'm going to look into getting the tests soon hopufully, as soon as I'll be able to afford it. So hopefully that will clear it all up, and single a lot of things out.

Markie Mark, Right now, the only other type of calcium I have is made by 'VitaSmart'. It's oyster shell Calcium 250mg. Is this any better, & I would guess I should take 2 of them to = the 500 mg?

...Jestine
Jestine,

The next time you buy calcium look for a calcium citrate product. Glad to hear you will be getting some diagnostic tests!

All the best!

Peregrine

Old 12-15-2003, 02:46 PM   #11

yogagirl40 HB User

Not sure where in the North you are but there is a place in Grand Rapids MI called the Born clinic-it is a med facility where the doctors are MD's and practice homeopathic medicine along with being allopaths. They do testing to see what kind of diet you should be eating (genetically) and you should be using vitamins that are for prevention, not wellness. Progressive labs in Tx carries vitamins for prevention. Going the natural route is def. the best. hope this info can help

Closed Thread