It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2003, 08:25 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Nutrition in food

I was wondering how important bread and grains are. Is there a substitute for them. Say for example if I ate a lot of veggies would that make up for not having much bread in my diet. I try to force myself to eat at least one serving or two a day of bread but I really don't like it much. I crave things like dairy, veggies, fruit, and meat. Usually when I have dinner it's some form of meat then a potato and a veggie. Is that lacking in balance if I do not have bread with it? Sometimes I do make pasta also so I am getting my grain with that but that's not very often.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
Inactive

junkbondtrader HB User
Re: Nutrition in food

carbohydrates are important because they are the only direct source of energy for the brain and nervous system. in the absence of enough of them, your body will find other ways to survive and support these systems by going into ketosis (breaking down stored fat, and eventually muscle tissues into a form that will act similarly). ketone bodies are made of acetone and two other acidic toxins, and if they build up enough (i.e. if you eat no carbohydrates or almost none), they can acidify your bloodstream to dangerous levels (ketoacidosis) which can be very dangerous. you're probably not at risk for serious health consequences from this as things stand now, but it's something to keep in mind.

if you don't like bread, there are plenty of other ways to get grains into your diet... oatmeal, pasta, potatoes, rice, barley, quinoa, couscous, etc. or tortillas, pizza, etc.

you said you like potatoes, and those are in fact better for you than highly processed breads, so that's good. they're also really high in vitamin c.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2003, 10:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

if you don't like bread, there are plenty of other ways to get grains into your diet... oatmeal, pasta, potatoes, rice, barley, quinoa, couscous, etc. or tortillas, pizza, etc.>>>>>>>>>>

What are quinoa and couscous? How nutritious are tortillas? I have them at places like taco bell for lunch I'll have a soft shell taco but I always feel like I ate junk food. Other days I have a hamburger so I get the bread from that but it is usually my only serving of bread or grain a day. I also feel like the buns at fast food places don't have much nutrition. Sometimes I will have a bowl of cereal before bed to try to get more grain in my diet.

Old 12-13-2003, 10:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Also is popcorn a carbohydrate? I read somewhere that it is and that it's really good for you. Is that true. I really like popcorn. I try to eat the kind that is not loaded with fat.

Old 12-15-2003, 04:31 AM   #5
Inactive

girlygirly HB User

"What are quinoa and couscous? How nutritious are tortillas? I have them at places like taco bell for lunch I'll have a soft shell taco but I always feel like I ate junk food. Other days I have a hamburger so I get the bread from that but it is usually my only serving of bread or grain a day. I also feel like the buns at fast food places don't have much nutrition. Sometimes I will have a bowl of cereal before bed to try to get more grain in my diet.[/QUOTE]

Quinona and couscous are grains, quinona( pronounced keenwah) you will find in health food stores. Couscous you can find in most grocery stores.

No Taco Bell for lunch is not a healthy way to go. Neither is eating a hamburger bun. Regular store bought cereals are useless as they contain so many additives and added synthetic vitamins....These are highly processed foods. To be honest with you...you do not need grains to live. There is a new book in the stores called the No Grain Diet, you may want to look at it as it may be excellent for you. You can get your fiber in many other ways and you can take fiber supplements in case you don't eat enough of it. Remember at least 25 grams a day. And you must drink alot of water so that you do not become constipated. Personally I love grains so it is not a problem for me.

Old 12-15-2003, 06:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

girlygirly, couscous is a processed wheat grain found through north Africa. In some countries it is made into kind of like a pilaf mixed with veggies and served with meat; in others it is sweetened for a dessert. Quinoa is found in the Andes and reportedly has a "complete" balance of protein.

Kari7171, You absolutely do not need to force yourself to eat bread. There are plenty of ways to make up for it (I will never understand why grains got to be the "base" of the food pyramid).

You can get MORE than sufficient carbohydrates eating plenty of veggies, fruits and potatoes.

If you like other grains, they of course can be substituted. But other grains are not absolutely necessary either. The main thing they provide are some of the B vitamins, but those can be made up with a variety of veggies. The other thing grains provide is fiber, but veggies and fruits can make up for that, too.

If you are wanting something starchy, well, you already eat potatoes, legumes are good, too, as are any starchy veggie like winter squash, corn, lima beans, etc. Popcorn is largely carbohydrates. I don't think it provides a tremendous amount of nutrition, but IMHO it doesn't hurt much either (and I like it too). The one thing to watch is what kind of oil is used in the popping . . . anything done commercially is probably going to contain a fair amount of transfats.

Closed Thread