HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Vitamins & Supplements (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/vitamins-supplements/)
-   -   Need energy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/vitamins-supplements/137508-need-energy.html)

normorcrazy 12-27-2003 10:57 PM

Need energy

Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on this board. I was just curious if anyone knew of any herbal drinks or pills that increased energy levels. I am always run down and tired for no apparent reason. I am a single parent and it takes all of me to get out of bed and make my son a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I never seem to have any energy or motivation. I am only 26 and other then panic disorder which I take Paxil for and elevated progesterone problems which birth control keeps close to normal levels, I have no other health problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to all who read and respond! Take care!

isolated one 12-28-2003 07:50 PM

Re: Need energy

As long as you can rule out any serious medical condition, I suggest you think about Cayenne. Those hot chili peppers used in seasoning are very misunderstood and happen to be one of the best natural medicines! If you are in need of energy, you don't want to take something that's going to exhaust your adrenals and give you that "let down" feeling after a while. Cayenne gives a boost of energy, mainly by getting the blood circulating. Many herbalists say cayenne is the most powerful natural stimulant known and it also doesn't have the side effects associated with other stimulants. We've come to believe that all spicy foods cause indigestion. That's not a complete truth. The burning sensation caused by cayenne pepper is not as real as it seems. This feeling is only the nerves reacting to the cayenne and nothing more. Cayenne is now being shown to be a benefit to many digestive disorders as well as general circulation, the immune system, and mental function. Cayenne is now one of the most popular herbs and comes in capsule form. It's made a big difference in my quality of life, including help with my depression! Many people feel a false sense of heartburn when starting with cayenne but that goes away in a week or two. I suggest doing some research on the medicinal beneits of cayenne. You will be amazed. ..... P.S. As with anything, there's still a possibility of a reaction with some prescription medications.

normorcrazy 12-28-2003 10:37 PM

Thank you for the response. Can Cayenne be purchased at GNC? If not where do I get it? Right now I'll try anything, I'm so in need of energy. Do you know if this is ok to take with paxil? Thanks again!

isolated one 12-28-2003 11:25 PM

I can't give any confident answer as to whether or not cayenne will cause any problems when taken with paxil or even birth control pills. It's only been recently discovered that the herb St. John's Wort can interfere with some medications, including birth control because it speeds up the liver's metabolism of some meds. Knowledge of the interaction with alternative and prescrition medicine has a long way to go. I suggest doing the research and deciding what's right for you. I only use herbs and vitamins, so this hasn't been an issue for me. BTW, I don't have much confidence in GNC products, based on my own experience. I happen to believe Nature's Way has the highest quality of herbal products.

Leanea 12-29-2003 02:07 AM

Excersice might help increase your enegy levels. Also getting enough rest helps a lot. Massage is great for circulation, energy and takes away stress. I highly recommend it. Scrubbing once a week with a loofah is like a massage for your skin and helps circulation. I don't know if you need supplements, but you should get a blood test to find out if you are deficient in anything because it may be you need more iron or a B vitamin or something else (but those two are common problems for women). Also women often don't get enough calcium. A test might help you find out the reason for your low energy. It could be so many things that you can't just make a guess. I hope this helps.

happydieter 12-29-2003 12:05 PM

i have been using stinger rx for sexual enhancement, but it increases energy as well, in both myself and my wife.

girlygirly 12-30-2003 04:43 AM

[QUOTE=normorcrazy]Hello everyone! This is my first time posting on this board. I was just curious if anyone knew of any herbal drinks or pills that increased energy levels. I am always run down and tired for no apparent reason. I am a single parent and it takes all of me to get out of bed and make my son a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I never seem to have any energy or motivation. I am only 26 and other then panic disorder which I take Paxil for and elevated progesterone problems which birth control keeps close to normal levels, I have no other health problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance to all who read and respond! Take care![/QUOTE]
:wave:

Have you had your thyroid tested? Panic attacks are a symptom as well as the low energy level. Many times after pregnancy or menopause women develop thyroid disease due to the increased hormone activity. You should look into this. I might be good to go to the thyroid board to see if you have any other symptoms as well. Good Luck to you!!

normorcrazy 12-30-2003 10:18 AM

Girlygirly, I have had my thyroid tested many times, as we suspected the same thing, but all tests are normal. The only tests that are abnormal are my progesterone, which runs fairly high when off BCP and iron levels, which are slightly low and are fine with taking iron pills 2x a day. We believe the problem with my progesterone is what increases my panic attacks. Since my iron levels are back to normal with the pills I wouldn't think that would still be causing such low energy levels.

Happydieter, do you know if that's safe to take with Paxil and where can I get it? Seeing as the Paxil decreases my sexualy ability, I could be helping two problems.

Leanea, I use to exercise on a daily basis until I started feeling so worn out I couldn't do it anymore. I was in the military when my problems started, so I was still required to exercise occassionally. Now I still try to run at least 3x a week and I try to do in house exercises everynight.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate the help you all are offering. You all are GREAT! Take care!

Dave64 01-10-2004 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=Leanea]Excersice might help increase your enegy levels. Also getting enough rest helps a lot. Massage is great for circulation, energy and takes away stress. I highly recommend it. Scrubbing once a week with a loofah is like a massage for your skin and helps circulation. I don't know if you need supplements, but you should get a blood test to find out if you are deficient in anything because it may be you need more iron or a B vitamin or something else (but those two are common problems for women). Also women often don't get enough calcium. A test might help you find out the reason for your low energy. It could be so many things that you can't just make a guess. I hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

I take Vitamin E, CQ10, L-Carnitine, Acetyl L-Carnitine. These all seem to give me more energy. Don't take more than 400-800 IU's (I take only 400) of Vitamin E, preferably in the morning so it does not affect your sleep at night. Same with the other 3. Hope this helps. Also, buy a cheap mini-trampoline from a sporting goods store (not the $300-500 ones) and jump on it for a few minutes in the morning to get your blood flowing through your veins. I jump on it every morning and I swear by it. The actual idea behind it is called "Rebounding". Do a google search on that word and see what you get. Peace! Dave

njben 01-10-2004 04:19 PM

There are many other better places to get cayenne than GNC. it is generally readily available. As for interactions, I can not say for sure .. but it is basically concentrated cayenne pepper .. something most of us eat. Unless you have certain stomach or bowel problems that Cayenne can irritate ... there should be no problem at all with any drugs. However, I am not 100% of that .. but I am a good 95% sure.

meetooyou 01-11-2004 03:56 PM

I've been taking a B-complex vitamin and it seems to be helping with my run down energy.