It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2004, 05:12 AM   #1
(male)

fwa1981 HB User
A good multivitamin supplement for me?

Hello,

I am 22 year old male. I have many ailments. These include:
  • Overweight
  • High Cholesterol
  • High Uric Acid
  • Fatty Liver and high SGPT/ALT levels (though i have been able to reduce the ALT/SGPT to normal levels)
  • Problems with my knee (not chondromalacia)
  • Problems with eyes (especially the left one)
  • Urinary problems (dripping and going to pee too often)
  • Hair problems (dandruff and falling)
  • Skin dryness

Is there any supplement which i can use to alleviate the following conditions? I would be very grateful for any help in this regard.

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:19 PM   #2
(male)

fwa1981 HB User
Re: A good multivitamin supplement for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwa1981
Hello,

I am 22 year old male. I have many ailments. These include:
  • Overweight
  • High Cholesterol
  • High Uric Acid
  • Fatty Liver and high SGPT/ALT levels (though i have been able to reduce the ALT/SGPT to normal levels)
  • Problems with my knee (not chondromalacia)
  • Problems with eyes (especially the left one)
  • Urinary problems (dripping and going to pee too often)
  • Hair problems (dandruff and falling)
  • Skin dryness

Is there any supplement which i can use to alleviate the following conditions? I would be very grateful for any help in this regard.

Thanks.

For God's sake anybody please reply!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 10:27 PM   #3

suzi47cmt HB User

Hi. I hope this helps some. I know this may seem strange at first, so bear with me. First of all I am not male, BUT... I have had some of the problems you are having, mainly last three on your list, and believe it or not, my problem was easily discovered, but it took awhile. Thanks to a very observant doctor. I was taking in way too much caffeine and not drinking enough water. It was causing me to have trouble actually urinating but then dripping or leaking after I finally could urinate. Plus my skin was drying out like a prune no matter how much lotion I applied. And my scalp too of course, was dry, and flaking. Normally, my hair and scalp had been oily, but it had quickly gone to dry and scaly. My right eye was bothering me as well, and I was told that my optic nerve was damaged, and also told could be due to the massive amounts of caffeine I took in (i.e. I am a Pepsi junkie, used to drink 12 cans a day or more!!!) I was also told that my uric acid could be affected by all this dehydration, as well as all my electrolyte levels!!!

I know this is just pertaining to myself, but I felt it might be worth mentioning to you. Perhaps it has nothing at all to do with your problems. I just found it so striking, to read your post, and see all the things listed that I had gone through, and had been mystified by.

You take care now, and I hope you get some other replies, especially if mine is of no use to you. LOL

God Bless.
Suzi

Old 01-06-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
(male)

fwa1981 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzi47cmt
Hi. I hope this helps some. I know this may seem strange at first, so bear with me. First of all I am not male, BUT... I have had some of the problems you are having, mainly last three on your list, and believe it or not, my problem was easily discovered, but it took awhile. Thanks to a very observant doctor. I was taking in way too much caffeine and not drinking enough water. It was causing me to have trouble actually urinating but then dripping or leaking after I finally could urinate. Plus my skin was drying out like a prune no matter how much lotion I applied. And my scalp too of course, was dry, and flaking. Normally, my hair and scalp had been oily, but it had quickly gone to dry and scaly. My right eye was bothering me as well, and I was told that my optic nerve was damaged, and also told could be due to the massive amounts of caffeine I took in (i.e. I am a Pepsi junkie, used to drink 12 cans a day or more!!!) I was also told that my uric acid could be affected by all this dehydration, as well as all my electrolyte levels!!!

I know this is just pertaining to myself, but I felt it might be worth mentioning to you. Perhaps it has nothing at all to do with your problems. I just found it so striking, to read your post, and see all the things listed that I had gone through, and had been mystified by.

You take care now, and I hope you get some other replies, especially if mine is of no use to you. LOL

God Bless.
Suzi

suzi,

Thanks a ton for your reply!

Well, i am not a caffeine junkie; though i was guily of overindulging a few years back (4-5 cups of tea daily). However, at present i drink only one or two cups daily. I also do not drink much pepsi (maybe 2-5 times a month!). But lately i have been dehydrating myself in order to stop those "urges" to urinate. I must tell you here that i used to urinate 6-8 times a day; though presently by virtue of dehydration i am able to curtail it to 2-5 times a day. I have seen people who gulp down litres and still go to the toilet only 2-3 times a day. I wish i were same.

By the way what kind of pain are u experiencing in your right eye? Do u have poor eye sight? I have a fairly poor eyesight in both my eyes and therfore i cant do without glasses.

My skin is generally dry except for a few oily patches here and there. I have tried medicated shampoos previously but no use and they were damn expensive. Also used heads & shoulders and as a result my hair has thinned out drastically; its almost as my head is balding!

Anyway do u have any idea how i go about addressing these problems?

Regards,
fwa

Old 01-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #5

Invincible HB User

The best ever multi I've ever seen on the market is one by Life Extension - do a search - it's very comprehensive.

Old 01-06-2004, 05:59 PM   #6

suzi47cmt HB User

Hi again fwa
My suggestion, and this is just a suggestion mind you, would be this: see if you can get your regular doc to refer you, or refer yourself if possible, to an endocrinologist. that is where I found out about my dehydration, dryness issues, and electrolyte imbalance. I too had thinning hair, but since having been put on several supplements and vitamins, my hair is thickening again, my skin is much more supple, and my kidneys do not hurt as bad.

I am not sure if this route will help or not, but it is worth discussing with your doc, or with an endocrinologist. Even a dietician may help. My mom is a licensed registered dietician (NOT a NUTRITIONIST).. You see a nutritionist can be anyone, it could be you or I. A "nutritionist" is not required to be licensed or anything. A dietician goes to school and interns and attends school for almost as long as a physician. They are wonderful in figuring out how your chemistry and dietietary needs affect your health.

I hope this helps you some. I could tell you the vitamins and supplements that I take, but it really would not be the answer, as I also have Crohns disease, and kidney disease, among others.

Take care. I hope this will help you out. Please let us know how things turn out for you.

Suzi

Old 01-08-2004, 05:53 AM   #7
(male)

njben HB User

I am afraid I can not help you directly... but the Best multivitamin I can think of (and personally use) and Bill Sardi's Perfect Multi available at [removed].com. [removed]

Last edited by moderator2; 01-08-2004 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Do not post commercial websites. Only product names are allowed here. Please carefully read, know and follow the board posting guidelines. Thank you.

Old 01-08-2004, 03:22 PM   #8

meetooyou HB User

I can't help with vitamins or supplements but I do know that urinating anywhere from 4 - 8 times daily is normal.

Old 01-11-2004, 11:44 AM   #9
(male)

plg115 HB User

They make a good multi-vitamin by Nature Made. It covers all age groups.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:36 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

NerfHead HB User

Hey there,

I would recommend

MegaMen from GNC
Stay away from Acid forming foods
You NEED ALOT of water
and eat FIBER like its going out of style...I prefer "green drinks"

There is alot you can do to improve your health. If you have the money, look into buying the book, "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by James and Phyllis Balch.

Closed Thread