It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2004, 09:14 PM   #1

Aurora M. HB User
B complex making me sick?

Hi. for about 3 weeks now I've been taking a B5 supplement to try and combat mild/moderate acne. Until about a week or two ago I was also taking an extra 60mg of Zinc for the acne. I was feeling very nauseated and at the beginning I actually vomited a few times. I stopped taking the Zinc since I read that too much can be dangerous, so I figured I was just sensitive to it. I also started with a B-50 complex, but even after stopping the Zinc I was still feeling nauseated (on Christmas day right before dinner no less) so I stopped the B-50 complex. Now with the B5 I take a multi-vitamin and I haven't been as nauseated as I was. Maybe once or twice in the past 2 weeks

so my question is, is it possible that too much of the B complex is bad for you and that's why I was feeling sick? or could it have been something else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2004, 11:18 PM   #2

suzi47cmt HB User
Re: B complex making me sick?

WOW!! Not to be alarmist, but maybe you should talk with your doctor. I can be dangerus when taking different supplements, vitamins, etc... Even under a doctors care, they can make mistakes too. I take several of the B complex supplements, as I have crohns disease, and that part of my intestinal tract that absorbs b12 is missing, so I must have that B complex by giving myself the injection. It sounds, just from what I read in your post, that you and/or your doctor are definitely trying to cover all your bases with your acne, etc...

Good luck, give your doc a call and see what he thinks. Personally, I cannot take zinc, as it has always made me nauseous. Hope this helps some.

Take care, and please let me/us know how you are doing, and what progress you make.

Suzi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

oceandreams HB User

Are you taking the vitamins on an empty stomach? If so, that will often cause nausea, even vomiting. Always take vitamin supplements with a full meal, not only will this take care of the nausea, but your body will utilize the vitamins much better.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:19 PM   #4

Aurora M. HB User

Thanks for the advice. I'm doing well now. I only take the multivitamin and the B5 now. Now that I think back though, The days that I actually got sick I *may* have taken the vitamins before breakfast on a day where I was short on time and rushed out of the house with something to munch. I know much better now and won't be doing that again. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 01-09-2004, 04:11 PM   #5

suzi47cmt HB User

Aurora, SO glad to hear you are feeling better. That was a very good point made, i.e. taking meds on an empty stomach, especially some vitamins and supplements certainly has the potential to cause some discomfort.

Take care now.

Suzi

Old 02-13-2004, 11:18 PM   #6
(male)

mikeb HB User

FYI...B50 makes me sick too, with or w/o food. But I've found that if I mix it in with my morning "blender drink" for some reason it doesn't affect my stomach or head in the least. Good question for the doc I guess.

Closed Thread