It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2004, 09:54 PM   #1

PJG HB User
Flaxseed

Has anyone tried flaxseed? Not the oil but actual flaxseed that you grind yourself or you can buy it ground at a health food store. I have read that it is probably the one best thing we can all take daily for our health.

Old 01-16-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
Inactive

SparkleBuggy HB User
Re: Flaxseed

Yes, these seeds are wonderful! I use them in everything, salads, mixed fruit, yoguarts, etc. Be sure to place them in the refridge, so they stay fresh! The seeds provide more fiber than the oil. If you are trying to get your daily dose from the seeds, you may want to rethink on that one. They also make capsles, but they are on the large side. So, I would recommend taking the oil, if you are wanting a daily dose. I take 2 tablespoons a day and also eat the flaxseeds. The seeds and oil taste somewhat like walnuts. So, I hope you enjoy the seeds and flax is the best thing out there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2004, 09:46 PM   #3

PJG HB User

Thanks for your reply. This may be an odd question but is flaxseed safe to use with prescription medications? I really want to start on this soon but also want to make sure it's safe before I do.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-25-2004 at 12:12 PM.

Old 01-24-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
Inactive

SparkleBuggy HB User

Sure, there isn't anything to hurt you about Flax. If you take the oil, I suggest eating w/ it. If you don't, you may burp it up!

Old 01-24-2004, 09:48 PM   #5

sweety-b HB User

I like taking flaxseed oil (i think the seeds are mose expensive. They recently had a sale on the oil at GNC. I also recently bought the Flax Seed cereal, in the wheaty cereals section... it's pretty good, not too bad at all (I mix mine with other serials though, to make it last).

Old 01-25-2004, 09:58 AM   #6
Inactive

sweetpoison68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
Thanks for your reply. This may be an odd question but is flaxseed safe to use with prescription medications? I really want to start on this soon but also want to make sure it's safe before I do.
I have done alot of research on the flaxseed oil.I read that it will inhibit your B vitamin absorption also it is imperative that you drink PLENTY of water to move it through your system .. I take B vitamins but never with the flax i usually would take the flax in the morning then the B vits later in the day to help compensate for the loss.Please do your reading before taking any herbs.For instance...ST johns wart will cause breakthrough bleeding if your on any hormones this is not the pill for you!!! I would suggest you go to the library and read up on herbs before taking any thing because you just never know you may be trading one problem for another if your not carefull.
SP68

Last edited by sweetpoison68; 01-25-2004 at 10:00 AM.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:11 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

What does flaxseed oil do for u? I mean, what kind of benefits will u see after u take it? Healther skin? Better hair? More energy????

Old 02-01-2004, 06:13 PM   #8
(female)

mugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB Usermugwump HB User

I've been taking flax seed oil and ground up seeds for a couple weeks now. I started taking it for really dry skin on my hands. My hands are practically normal now, although I can't be sure it's from the flax, because I've also been using lotion alot and I've been drinking more water. My mini food processor doesn't seem to grind the seeds up very well, and it's hard to find whole seeds. But then I found ground up seeds in my grocery store, I think Bob's Red Mill brand. I tried putting it in my oatmeal, but I didn't like the consistency. It absorbs alot of water, and makes it kind of slimey. I've heard if you boil flax seeds, you can make hair gel. So now I put the ground seeds on top of my oatmeal after it's already cooked, and then it doesn't affect the consistency. It's kind of like ground nuts and it doesn't taste like much. I also take flax seed oil gel caps. I don't like swallowing pills, so I just wait til they start to dissolve and then I just chew the oil out of the pill and throw out the gel cap. Also, my boyfriend has a problem with dry patches on his eyelids, and I read that flax is good for that too. He hasn't tried it, but I've noticed my eyelids feel smoother. Or else I'm just imagining it.

Old 02-02-2004, 11:01 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

I did not know I should not take flaxseed oil at the same time i take my B, so thanks for that info. I learn so much here from you guys!!

There is a thread with a small discussion on the benifits of Flaxseed located here..
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=131066[/url]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump
Also, my boyfriend has a problem with dry patches on his eyelids, and I read that flax is good for that too. He hasn't tried it, but I've noticed my eyelids feel smoother. Or else I'm just imagining it.
Going off topic but your post made me remember.. my neighbors grandaughter had dry patches on her eyelids. They went to a skin Dr and he told her it was an allergy to wearing nail polish. DUH.. Anyway she stopped the nail polish and sure enough the dry patches went away. Apparently your cells absorb stuff you never even think of an show up as odd allergies like dry eyelids.. so you may want to check with an skin Dr about the reason for the Dry eyelids. (I'm sure you boy friend dosen't wear nail polish but it could be some thing else along the same line)

Last edited by snowmelts; 02-02-2004 at 11:04 PM.

Old 02-11-2004, 12:19 PM   #10

haysoos_freaktus HB User

I took the flax seed pills for awhile....................had to stop...........the gas was unbearable

Old 02-12-2004, 04:45 AM   #11
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJG
I have heard that taking the actual seed, rather than the oil, and in large quantities, is not recommended if you have thyroid problems.

Closed Thread