It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2004, 10:02 AM   #1

Juliebrat HB User
Constipation from these vitamins?

I started taking calcium, magnesium and zinc along with my regular multivitamin a few days ago, and before taking these I was a regular in the bathroom with no problems. Now, since taking these I find going #2 is literally a pain in my butt with straining and a feeling like I haven't gone all the way. I want to stick with these vitamins because they are supposed to be good on a low oxalate diet and cause a more alkaline blood level and they are supposed to also be good at combating yeast problems. So, I guess my question is, how long do you think it will take to get regular again on these? Should I take something like fibercon in the meantime?

Old 02-03-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User
Re: Constipation from these vitamins?

Is the calcium you are taking one that contains the carbonate form of calcium? If so, that may the culprit. Carbonate is a very poor choice of calcium as it is poorly absorbed, can cause various other problems such as bone spurs, stones and in some cases, inhibits nutrient absorption. The optimum choice would be citrate or citrate malate or MCHA, as these rarely cause the above issues and is much higher in bioavailability. M

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2004, 02:49 PM   #3

Juliebrat HB User
Re: Constipation from these vitamins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatApoth2003
Is the calcium you are taking one that contains the carbonate form of calcium? If so, that may the culprit. Carbonate is a very poor choice of calcium as it is poorly absorbed, can cause various other problems such as bone spurs, stones and in some cases, inhibits nutrient absorption. The optimum choice would be citrate or citrate malate or MCHA, as these rarely cause the above issues and is much higher in bioavailability. M

I just looked at the bottle and it sure is the calcium carbonate kind. So, I should get a citrate one? I'll go to the health food store instead of Target, since I don't think they had any other kind. Thanks much!!

Closed Thread