It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
(female)

Solange1965 HB User
Need digestible B vitamins....

I have a problem with a sensitive stomach and B vitamins. The B-50 range and higher, cause me indigestion and other side effects no matter the brand and even in liquid. The otc brands have B levels that are too low to be useful. I feel I could manage 25 mg range but they seem to be only sold starting with B-50 strength. Any suggestions as to how I can get a decent level of B's in supplement form?
And by the way, it doesn't matter if I take them with food, the end result is always the same.
Thank you....

Old 02-04-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User
Re: Need digestible B vitamins....

What you are probably looking for is a "balanced" B complex. Taking a B-Complex is a little more involved than simply taking 50 or 100 mg of all the b's. Firstly, they aren't utilized in strict 50 or 100 mg amounts. Formulas that are made this way generally use poor forms of these and are not utilized efficiently within the body. A better b-complex will have varried amounts of the b's in a balanced way. I think if you look for one that is not 50's or 100's or even 25's you'll see that they will not cause the problem you are having. Some of the b's may seem low to you, in actuality, a good form is better absorbed thus you don't necessiarily need 50 mg of it. M

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 06:22 PM   #3
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatApoth2003
What you are probably looking for is a "balanced" B complex. Taking a B-Complex is a little more involved than simply taking 50 or 100 mg of all the b's. Firstly, they aren't utilized in strict 50 or 100 mg amounts. Formulas that are made this way generally use poor forms of these and are not utilized efficiently within the body. A better b-complex will have varried amounts of the b's in a balanced way. I think if you look for one that is not 50's or 100's or even 25's you'll see that they will not cause the problem you are having. Some of the b's may seem low to you, in actuality, a good form is better absorbed thus you don't necessiarily need 50 mg of it. M
So are you saying that any otc brand is okay of a balanced B complex or should I stick to one sold in a health food store? I do take individual supplements, C, E, CoQ10,MSM, etc...and I do get them at a healthfood store. Does it really matter?
Thank you.

Old 02-05-2004, 05:19 AM   #4
Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User

As long as you are going to a good health food store, why not just get a good multi vitamin that contains your b-complex in it already? In addition, you would be able to get one that has your E as well (unless you are taking it above and beyond 400-600 IU's). Of course a well formulated multi will need to be taken more than once a day, rightly so since they will wash out before the end of your day. M

Old 02-05-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

Well I take a separate Vitamin E in dry form capsule because any oil or gel formulated supplement upsets my stomach. The multi vitamins that I have seen at the health food store seem to have the B's in a high dose and that is the problem. Those B's that are normally taken in 50 or 75 mgs and higher are too high for me. I understand that there are some B's that are not taken at such high doses.

I need to find a multi then that has the B's at a 25 mg range and which includes the other B's at their lower ranges as well. Thank you for all your imput..it just remains a hard find.

Old 02-05-2004, 09:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Have you ever tried a time-release B-complex, which doesn't break down so quickly and dissolves over a period of several hours? This form may be easier on your digestive system.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:03 PM   #7
Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User

There are brands that are more what you are looking for. Some high quality brands that may suit your needs would be like - Pioneer (which also contain digestive enzymes), Verified Quality (Vital Nutrients) or Jarrow Formulas. You can look them up on the net and browse their formulas. They are naturopathically formulated and of the highest quality. I believe you'll see that they will not bother your GI and you'll notice the benefit of a multi that is properly made. If your hfs doesn't carry them, they can get them easily for you. M

Old 02-05-2004, 07:44 PM   #8
(female)

Solange1965 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatApoth2003
There are brands that are more what you are looking for. Some high quality brands that may suit your needs would be like - Pioneer (which also contain digestive enzymes), Verified Quality (Vital Nutrients) or Jarrow Formulas. You can look them up on the net and browse their formulas. They are naturopathically formulated and of the highest quality. I believe you'll see that they will not bother your GI and you'll notice the benefit of a multi that is properly made. If your hfs doesn't carry them, they can get them easily for you. M
Thank you for all the options. I will check out the brands you mention here and will keep checking back here for more information. To the other reply, I didn't know you could get a sustained released multi. I do take a sustained Vitamin C twice a day. That is another option too as it won't hit my stomach all at one time...until I found the sustained release Vit.C, I couldn't handle the larger doses at all.
Thanks to everyone who has contributed...I am so appreciative..Solange.

Closed Thread