It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Vitamins & Supplements Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 07:23 PM   #1

PrincessDawnie HB User
Question Calcium?

I know that I need to take calcium but does it help with weight loss? I have read alot that says it does and I am trying to lose some weight. TIA!

Dawn

Old 02-04-2004, 09:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

DoOoOoM HB User
Re: Calcium?

Calcium is known best of all as a promoter of healthy and strong bones. But it plays a critical role in performance as well. Too little calcium and you can't relax your muscles. Bad relaxation, makes for less potential energy and so on and ultimately for less than satisfactory contraction. Bad contraction equals bad workouts and no growth. Get the picture? By improving relaxation you avoid cramping, injury and twitching. Calcium is also very important in fat metabolization, so no cigar for the people who claim milk is fattening. It makes for less fat storage and better use of present macronutrients in the blood. Using the recommended FDA dosage has shown to decrease body-fat significantly in obese people. It's no secret that the RDV (recommended daily values) were established back in the 60's and 70's for a 2000 calorie diet. I don't know many bodybuilders that grow on a 2000 calorie diet. As a matter of fact I know very few who go below that when dieting. Also the amounts are outdated, so instead of the recommended 1000 mg you should be closer to 2000-2500 mg of calcium daily. Milk can help you get a large part of that. And it's safe to use on a diet too, because of the high calcium content and the not so fattening simple sugar lactose that makes up the carbohydrate portion of milk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

snowmelts HB User

Calcium is Very essential to your body.
You especially need suppliments if you are dieting and not eating properly balanced meals.
But it won't make you skinny.
I wish it did.
I've been taking calcium suppliments over 30 years as well eating diary products with calcium and I'm an overly plump old lady.
I can sure testify calcium won't make you skinny!!

Old 06-20-2004, 08:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

of course calcium(milk products) won't MAKE you skinny! cutting calories and exercise is the other half of the game. however, skim milk and low fat dairy products are helpful in the process of weight loss because the calcium does something to the fat cells and HELPS inhibit extra fat cells to a certain degree. i would research this more, but i eat two servings of dairy a day like fat free yogurt and a glass of fat free milk and i believe part of my weight coming off has to do with these two dairy products helping me feel more sastisfied, or more full!! if you consume full fat dairy products then your in trouble ! calcium is a very important element in overall health and weight loss!

Closed Thread